API Co2 Booster and (my) crypt(s) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
API Co2 Booster and (my) crypt(s)

Well, I believe its been three days with the API Co2 Booster.

Overall, its not a bad product, but the Crypt that I purchased at Petco is obviously not tolerant of it.

Within 4hrs of doing the recommended dosage the top 1" of a mature leaf was eaten away. Large necrotic spots had developed on several older leaves where potassium deficiency had made holes.

This morning I had noticed some crypt melt on some of the older leaves and started thinking and researching about what might have been going on. I had considered the API co2 Booster, but hadn't made any decisions.

I performed a 15% wc about 4 hrs ago to clean out powerheads that had been clogged and afterwards dosed 2ppm potassium and 3ml API Co2 Booster. Now the crypt is showing clear signs of melting I have concluded that it was the API Co2 Booster.

I will cease using this product on this and the 29g since they both have the same species of crypt.

BTW, I had used Seachem Excel and did not notice any melting of these crypts, but I also did not dose the recommended dose daily (I dosed 3x dosage after wc).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I don't think that product, or Excel, will harm Crypts. And, I don't recall reading any reports of such damage caused by Excel. Perhaps when you dosed the API CO2 Booster it helped increase the Crypt growth rate, but there wasn't enough other nutrients to support that growth rate, so the plant sacrificed some older leaves. (Just speculating.) I have used Excel with crypts and they did fine. CO2 Booster is almost the same stuff, so it should give the same result for the same dosing.

Hoppy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (91/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I don't think that product, or Excel, will harm Crypts. And, I don't recall reading any reports of such damage caused by Excel. Perhaps when you dosed the API CO2 Booster it helped increase the Crypt growth rate, but there wasn't enough other nutrients to support that growth rate, so the plant sacrificed some older leaves. (Just speculating.) I have used Excel with crypts and they did fine. CO2 Booster is almost the same stuff, so it should give the same result for the same dosing.
+1 ... I have a tank full of crypts (40+ plants) and I dose excel all the time. None of my crypts melted.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Algae Grower

My Crypts stopped melting when I stopped dosing Excel... Pressurized CO2 FTW.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have dosed Excel as much as 3x the recommended dosage without adverse affects on this species of crypts.

I dosed the recommended dose of API Co2 Booster yesterday and within hours it had destroyed several leaves. All of the leaves that melted started to melt where a potassium deficiency had created a hole. It appears the that the Co2 Booster got into the leaf and melted it.

Other leaves are completely unaffected, but those with holes show clear damage that spread well beyond the potassium hole within just a few hours.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Excel and crypt melt is a hit and miss case. It depends.... Anyway, crypt can melt for many reasons. I have my giant Wendti red melted couple of leaves just because I have uprooted a giant Amazon sword near it. I have been dosing excel using the recommended dosage for over a week without the initial dosage. I am getting some melt here and there. However, I am getting massive new growth as well. Those are doing fine.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode