New planted tank setup, what to do next? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
New planted tank setup, what to do next?

Just setup a new planted tank, it has high light, 2x54 watt bulbs, I took 2 bulbs out to keep light down a bit, I assume I don't need all 4 bulbs. Also has CO2 being added via reactor. The tank is heavly planted. My question is do I need to start adding fertilizers right now? I have the following already.

PMDD dry, needs to be mixed

Also have the following, to be honest I have no idea how to mix any of these or the PMDD, I guess need to read up or if someone can h elp me out.

Potassium Sulfate - K2S04
Mono Potassium Phosphate Kh2P04
Potassium Nitrate KN03
11% DTPA Iron

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can begin with your fert regimen right away. How big is the tank? Sounds like you will have alot of light assuming that is T5HO - make sure to keep the CO2 level high.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyFish View Post
You can begin with your fert regimen right away. How big is the tank? Sounds like you will have alot of light assumiI ng that is T5HO - make sure to keep the CO2 level high.
Hi,
Yes is T5HO, I took 2 of the bulbs out since it seems like it was 2 much. I have 2 x 54 in it right now. The tank is 90 Gallons.

Any suggestions as to how to does what I listed?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Jim I can help you and it would be best to go EI, I looked at you tank journal the other day and you had a half a tank of swords and some others.

So this is what you do. You can use them dry or mix them with water and dose via a children's medicine syringe or something larger, I do have some 50 ml syringes for sale in the SnS.

Dry dosing
60~80gal
50% H20 change-weekly
3/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
3/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
1 Tsp-GH booster once a week
15ml 3/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
4-8ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

I alter my EI dosing a little and only use half strength on the micros and a lot of other people do something similar.

I use Pepsi bottles and get the syringes with a dosing cork that fits into the mouth to the bottle, so you just insert the syringe turn the bottle upside down and fill the syringe, I tend to be messy with the powders so for me this is better.

Macro
Add 500 ml of water to the bottle and 15 tsp of KN03, then add 3 -3/4 tsp of KH2P04, this is your Macro mix and you add 45 ml of this solution 3 times per week.

Micro
Add 500 ml of water to the bottle and 1 tbsp of Plantex CSM+B, then add 1 teaspoon of MgSO4(Epsom salt), dose 22.5 ml 3 times a week. Add 5 ml of Excel to this bottle tp prevent mold, a dark place or the fridge will not work.

Fe.
Add 500 ml of water to the bottle and 1 tbsp of 11% DPTA Iron Chelate and dose 10 to 20 ml per day 6 times per week.

gH Booster
I would add 1-1/2 tsp of GLA's Ultimate gH Booster after your weekly water change.

Each of your swords should have one Osmocote root tab placed under the plant every 3 months and I would start dosing the above at half the recommended amount for a week, then 3/4 for a week, then at the above recommended amounts.

Good luck and pm with questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
Jim I can help you and it would be best to go EI, I looked at you tank journal the other day and you had a half a tank of swords and some others.

So this is what you do. You can use them dry or mix them with water and dose via a children's medicine syringe or something larger, I do have some 50 ml syringes for sale in the SnS.

Dry dosing
60~80gal
50% H20 change-weekly
3/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
3/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
1 Tsp-GH booster once a week
15ml 3/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
4-8ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

I alter my EI dosing a little and only use half strength on the micros and a lot of other people do something similar.

I use Pepsi bottles and get the syringes with a dosing cork that fits into the mouth to the bottle, so you just insert the syringe turn the bottle upside down and fill the syringe, I tend to be messy with the powders so for me this is better.

Macro
Add 500 ml of water to the bottle and 15 tsp of KN03, then add 3 -3/4 tsp of KH2P04, this is your Macro mix and you add 45 ml of this solution 3 times per week.

Micro
Add 500 ml of water to the bottle and 1 tbsp of Plantex CSM+B, then add 1 teaspoon of MgSO4(Epsom salt), dose 22.5 ml 3 times a week. Add 5 ml of Excel to this bottle tp prevent mold, a dark place or the fridge will not work.

Fe.
Add 500 ml of water to the bottle and 1 tbsp of 11% DPTA Iron Chelate and dose 10 to 20 ml per day 6 times per week.

gH Booster
I would add 1-1/2 tsp of GLA's Ultimate gH Booster after your weekly water change.

Each of your swords should have one Osmocote root tab placed under the plant every 3 months and I would start dosing the above at half the recommended amount for a week, then 3/4 for a week, then at the above recommended amounts.

Good luck and pm with questions.
Thank you so much for the info. Though I did major change to the tank, all the swords are gone as I have given them to my neighboor. Mostly have stem plants now. I have not updated with any pictures though. I think the bottle route would be better for me as well since I am the same I would make a mess with the powder.

Here what I have, would I use the above amounts to dose still?
· Ambulia (Limnophila indica)
· Anacharis (Egeria densa)
· Anubias, Hastifolia (Anubias hastifolia)
·
· Cabomba Purple (Red) (Cabomba pulcherrima)
· Java Moss (Vesicularia Dubyana)
· Moneywort (Bacopa monnieri) Pot
· Myrio, tuberculatum 'Red'
· Proserpinaca Palustris
· Rotala Indica (Rotala roundifolia)
· Rotala Magenta (Rotala macrandra v. 'narrow leaf')
· Rotala nanjenshan
· Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides) Pot
· Bacopa australis (Bacopa australis)
· Moss Balls (1.5" -2" diameter)
· Sword, Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis)(Pot)
· Vallisneria, Italian (Vallisneria spiralis)
Thanks again for your help.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Yep, you can do the same thing with these stems and if any plant doesn't do well try a root tab of some sort.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

OK, cool, thanks again for your help. Yeah I used some root tabs as well.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I do have another question about the fertz.
1. what to do with this bag of PMDD mix?
2. what is K2S04 bag I have used for anything?
3. i have made the other stuff you suggested, do I still need to use the PMDD mix?
4. i need to buy bag of MgSO4, will it hurt if I don't add it for a few days?

Thanks again for your help.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode