First time I've tested my water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First time I've tested my water

I am just about to cycle my first planted tank, having kept tropical fish for a few years I want to take my hobby to the next level and also more seriously.

I have just tested my tap water parameters and can't work out what to do. It's the first time I've tested them in my new house, and it all seems rather high.

PH - 8.2
KH - 11.2 (200 ppm)
GH - 10.6 (190 ppm)

I'll be getting pressurised CO2 soon and from what I've read if I use CO2 at 50 ppm in the tank it will reduce my PH to my desired 6.8 however to keep fish this is probably much too high.

I'm not one for using too many chemicals and so wouldn't want to use a PH down product so is my only option to halve the KH by using a half RO and half tap water mix then use CO2 at 25-30ppm to get the desired PH? Or would it be better to use 100% RO water with some buffering product

If I use the half/half method what happens after a 50% water change? Surely my PH will shoot right up again and all my params will fluctuate for a while.

Or am I just plucking a PH of 6.8 out of the air as an unrealistic challenge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 08:50 PM

First time I've tested my water

Grab some RO and mix it with your tap water 50/50 - Just a couple of cups each. Test again. If the results are good - Bob's your uncle!

I do this and I just mix the replacement water before water changes.

Kathy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
baby2boy --> actually, that's not too bad. If you're planning on adding Co2 (as most everyone here will recommend), the pH will go down closer to 7.0-7.2. My water parameters are:
kh=10
gh ~ 11
ph=7.2 (with Co2) -- without Co2 its more like 7.8

Don't worry about it -- if you want to bring down the hardness, do what the previous poster said and mix some R/O or bottled water in there. Good luck!

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Also, let your tap water sit overnight and re-test. You might be surprised by what you discover.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 09:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
OK, then I second it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby2boy
I have just tested my tap water parameters and can't work out what to do. It's the first time I've tested them in my new house, and it all seems rather high...
I would also recommend letting some tap water sit out for a few hours and see if those parameters change.
My tap comes out at a pH of around 6.8-7, with a KH of 4.5 or so, but wait 2 or 3 hours and the pH shoots way up, to around 7.8-8. My PO4 doesn't seem to be higher that <1 ppm and doesn't seem to change over time, and I don't see any measurable NO's, but I do have chloramines, which I treat with Prime.

Last edited by jhoetzl; 03-16-2005 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Hoffboy beat me to it...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 12:11 AM
Stu
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby2boy
...if I use CO2 at 50 ppm in the tank it will reduce my PH to my desired 6.8 however to keep fish this is probably much too high.

Or am I just plucking a PH of 6.8 out of the air as an unrealistic challenge?
I have a KH of around 13 (still in the process of discovering that one - see this thread ) and my pH gets as low as 6.8 just before the photoperiod (6.9 after).
This means a relatively high CO2 level of around 50+. Currently I have one Otocinclus sp. and five Caridina japonica in the tank, showing no signs of discomfort. I think you can maintain a CO2 level of 50 if you go easy on the bioload.... I might find problems if I try and put too many fish in there at a later date (tank is 80 litres).

Eheim Pimp #121

80 litre "Planted" tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode