drop checker in the morning? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
drop checker in the morning?

hey folks just wondering since i just started using my drop checker. but is yours still green in the morning? My co2 shuts off at 8pm and the drop checker is still green in the morning. med planted 29g tank with quite a bit of water movemnt. I made 4dkh solution and tested it and it seems fine and was blue when i put the checker in the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Mine always went in blue and never went back. Bought the 4 solution from two different places with the same results. If it's always at least green then that doesn't tell me anything so I stopped using it. I just use the fish as my guide.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (27/100%)
mine shifts from green to pale blue in the morning then back to green.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Mine is green in the morning but, almost yellow when CO2 shuts off in the evening. There is a delay in reaction time for the drop checker. Also, the amount of current in the water affects how quickly the CO2 dissipates. I also use a ph test and CO2 chart. Neither is completely accurate, in one the delay is too long and the ph kit isn't accurate because there are other things affecting KH. But together, I get a general idea of what is going on. The drop checker tells me with better accuracy where the CO2 level gets to eventually and the PH test tells me the change over the time period.

This isn't ideal but, the best we can do within reasonable cost.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Mine is greenish towards the blue. If you are not sure, you can always get a bottle of 4dkh solution from one of the power sellers here and to compare.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Im pretty surre the fluid i made is accurate. I tested it with the hagen kit and got 3.72 dkh but accuracy with those kits isnt that great.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
co2 turns off 2 hours b4 lights go off and its near lime green / yellow.

In the morning co2 goes on 1 hour b4 lights, and its dark green.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Mine is dark green/bluish in the morning. It depends on if you oxygenate the water at night. I raise my lily pipe up a bit to oxygenate at lights out, so it also has the effect of degassing Co2 at night. If you don't oxygenate at night, your drop checker will probably still be green in the morning because plants can't use Co2 without light.

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do run a flex able 3 foot air bubble line but it is deep in the gravel so the bubbles are fairly large when they exit the gravel and it goes 24/7. Ill have to just keep an eye out for some of the pre made fluid to double check. My water is green atm so it makes it a bit hard to read the drop.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I run mine at lime green 24/7. When I timed it with the photo period, it would get dark forest green in the morning.

Drop checkers are very slow to indicate changes. At least 3-4 hours in my experience. The indications at CO2 on and off are what I go by as the DC has had enough time to reach somewhat of an equilibrium.

Steve

:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Not only are drop checkers very slow, there's also the question of how quickly you're gassing CO2 off (unless you're running an airstone at night, then that's a different story) -- which depends on how good your surface water movement is.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

one thing is there may be left over co2 in the reactor that takes a while to get used up thus by the time morning comes it still has not off gassed even though co2 hasnt been running. I'm gona try turning off co2 early today and see what it looks like in the morning.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think i may try this as well http://dropcheck.petalphile.com/ and run 2 drop checkers for a bit untill i get the hang of things with my new co2 setup.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beagord View Post
one thing is there may be left over co2 in the reactor that takes a while to get used up thus by the time morning comes it still has not off gassed even though co2 hasnt been running. I'm gona try turning off co2 early today and see what it looks like in the morning.
Any left over CO2 bubbles in my Cerges' reactor dissolve in several minutes at most, then the CO2 in the tubing dissolves until the water reaches the check valve.

Steve

:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I use a rex style reactor. I can hear the bubbles gurgle in it for a while after turning co2 off.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode