Should I add phosphates? Green algea. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Should I add phosphates? Green algea.

So I have been dealing with this annoying green hair algea the kind that is very fine grows fast in slow moving water and is neon green. When you take it out of the water it looks and feels like slime.

Any ways inwould get remove it and but it comes back.

I checked my Phosphates for the first time and I have none or so little it is not showing up on the chart. The ferts I have are all phosphate free and our tap water is some of the cleanest water I have ever had strait from the tap.

So should I add phosphates? Can lack of it cause algea?

80gal planted Angelfish community.
100gal SA cichlid, Silver dollar, and delhezi. No plants!
36 gal Planted Swordtail community.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
It's green spot algae that is usually where phosphates and CO2 are upped, along with reducing lighting.

In your case with green hair algae, you should probably check your CO2 levels to see if it's enough, given your lighting levels. Speaking of, you should also share your tank details if you want help from folks -- tank size, substrate, dosing regime, lighting (brand, bulbs, duration, height from tank), fish load, plant load, ammonia readings, nitrate readings, etc.

In my own tanks, green hair algae is usually addressed with increasing CO2 injection, manual removal and (optionally) adding amano shrimp.

In case you don't have this bookmarked yet, here's a good starting reference for algae problems - http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It's a 20 gal long
plant substrate
2x 24watt t5
Running 2 DIY co2 bottles ( I don't think it's enough my drop checker is green not a nice light green I use to get in my 10gal.)
Temp 75f
No ammonia, nitrites,
nitrates are 10ppm sometimes lower.
Ph 6.5
Kh 3

Frets excel, iron, nitrogen( not added often), and flourish being the main one.

Filter aqua clear 20 and 30.

I have 2 amano shrimp and 8 cherry reds. 2 Otos, rams horn snails. 8 galaxy danios, 6 dwarf Cory, and 2 sparkeling gouramis.

I do weekly 50% water changes.

Ligh has been running for 11hours. I just lowered the time down to 8 hours. The light is right on top of the glass I think I need to raise it up.

My plants are growing well but this stupid green algea is growing faster. I do have some green spot on the glass.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Hopefully the DIY CO2 folks can chime in. I personally never bothered with DIY CO2 and just saved up the money for a pressurized setup.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
I have only had hair algae once. I upped the co2 and it vanished. I also add phosphates though.

You can get enough co2 with DIY. I had it on my 29g for a long time. Drop checker light green/yellow.

Your issue may be your HOB filters. You may be gassing out allot of the co2 you are injecting. One thing that I would always have to do is make sure that the tank is filled as high as you can fill it. That helps prevent gassing your co2.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you have a good quality T5HO light you have way too much light for that size tank. But, if it is a really cheap light you may only have just too much light.

Hoppy
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
I thought they were NO's....

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
If you have a good quality T5HO light you have way too much light for that size tank. But, if it is a really cheap light you may only have just too much light.
They are low quality lights. Light was my first thought. So I cut Down the amount of time it is on. I had a good amount of light when this was a 10gal it was the same depth as this 20 long. I was getting the green slime hair algae in that tank too. BUT when I kept my co2 high I did see it go. When I slacked off on any thing it would come back.

So I have fixed the way my co2 was being injected, Lights on less hours, dosing ferts regularly but not too much. The stuff is not gone BUT it seems go have slowed down it's growth. I think the phosphates have helped a bit.

I have had this stuff before and I have had it go away but come right back as soon as I slack off on anything. When I went on a 2 week vacation it was really bad.

Last edited by Snowflake311; 12-09-2011 at 01:11 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode