Question about my dosing... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Question about my dosing...

So I'm still kind of new to all of this as this is my first planted tank and it's only been up and running for about 2 months. Anyway.... onto my question:

With the way my tank is set up (low light), what should I be dosing?

At first, I didn't know any better and was dosing EI for high light, but I ran across the Yet Another Nutrient Calculator and am now dosing EI for low light (which is only dosing once a week). I made a 2 solutions (500mL), one for my macros (KNO3 and KH2PO4) and one for micros (Plantex CSM+B and FE 10%) and am dosing 30mL. I'm also adding Excel everyday as per the bottle (will be switching over to GH booster eventually once I get the hang of this more).

I noticed some of my plant's leaves turning brown (I'm assuming from all the Iron I was adding at first). The leaves that are turning brown are on my anubias and my amazon sword. I doubt it would be a deficiency as I was EI dosing for high light (which is why I'm assuming they are turning brown from the Iron when I only have low light).

Am I dosing the proper way now? I hope this all makes sense

My tank info can be found in my sig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

bump... anyone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
does it wipe off? could be diatoms

Sump Pimp #7

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 02:26 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
It is impossible to say if you are "properly" dosing or not without knowing what's in your water and how much you are adding. 30 ml of some solution can be a lot or a little depending on the concentration of salts in there.

I think it is always good to establish a baseline. Some tap waters are extremely high in phosphates, others contain over 40 ppm of nitrates. In these cases, you might not even have to dose the particular nutrients. Test your tap and tank water, at least initially. If you don't want to do it yourself, find a decent pet store that offers some basic testing.

From there you can adjust the dosing regimen. Brown leaves can be cause by many things, nutrient deficiencies being one of them.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

If I decide to do it myself or take it to a store to be tested, what should I test it for? I have the basic ph, ammo, nitrite, and nitrate tests.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Nitrate, phosphorous, GH and KH kits will tell you mostly what u need to know as far as dosing goes. U also look up ur local tapwater report. It should be loaded with info

Sump Pimp #7

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Blazing, I will look into that and go from there.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Start by defining what you mean by low light. What lights do you have on the tank, and what are the tank's dimensions?

Hoppy
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 04:25 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Just test for nitrates and phosphates. That will give you a good idea if you are lacking, in the ballpark, or way over. Adjust your dosing accordingly, and perhaps test in a week or two to get some grip on usage over time.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here is a link to the light strip I bought from Lowe's. It's 2xT8 32W bulbs 6500K
http://www.lowes.com/pd_245546-58659...e|0&facetInfo=

My tank dimensions are 48"x12"x24".

I will call my LFS and see if they test for phosphates before I go to them (about 20 min away).

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
Nitrate, phosphorous, GH and KH kits will tell you mostly what u need to know as far as dosing goes. U also look up ur local tapwater report. It should be loaded with info
i would add Fe to this list as well... especially since in the OP, there was some question/suggestion that Fe might be the cause of browning on some plants.

and one can only hope your tap water report is loaded with info. here's my lousy report for example... http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...0XQECaWXIJvIqg

mind you, there's a legitimate trash dump, several junk yards and an actual toxic waste dump that was only recently taken care of (layered, covered and smoke stacks added, etc.) within close proximity of that water plant without a single mention of possible contaminants from such sources. heck if they don't list contaminants from local dry cleaners, though.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

weird. of course i did say "should". i love my report. it has every chemical, additive, substance organic and inorganic. HOWEVER. local regs here have to be strick because upstream is a nuclear power plant

Sump Pimp #7

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You may not have enough light to keep the plants growing. Two T8 bulbs provide very low light on a 24 inch high tank. For sure, you won't need to do much, if any, nutrient dosing. Just the fish poop and leftover fish food may supply more nutrients than the very slow growing plants will need.

Hoppy
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The plants in my tank are doing well though with just the 2xT8s. The crypts I have are really starting to get big and so are the swords and wisteria, also the anubias has made 3-4 new leaves since I put it in. Can't say much for the ludwigia though (not so good, probably gonna ditch).

I have another single strip light (T8) that I can throw on there with a better reflector if it really needs more light.

The only reason I stated in my OP about having too much iron is because the leaves on the anubias are healthy, just some spots are turning a brownish color if looked at the right angle. From above they look fine, but if the light hits them right, they give off a brownish-bronzish color like crypt wendtii bronze does. I'll have to take a pic and post it tonight, maybe that will help out.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

my original post stands on brown? does it rub off? iron deficiency or surplus will not IME cause brown spots. yellow? yes. nutriet uptake problems leading to brown or yellow mushy spots? yes... but ur water probably supplies enough iron at this point with low light.

i'm still wanting to assume diatoms ESPECIALLY since it is low light and diatoms love low light. if it is. it wipes off. also having a strong bio cycle will help control and also Otocinclus catfish LOVE diatoms

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode