Need help with EI Dosing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Need help with EI Dosing

For the past couple of months I have been dosing dry fertilizer's (N+P+K and CSM+B) directly into my tank and I have not been getting the best results. So, I want to try mixing each fertilizer separately in 215 ml of water. That being said I have some questions. For the first three question I need to know whether it is K2SO4, KH2PO4, or KNO3.

1. What fertilizer is N?
2. What fertilizer is P?
3. What fertilizer is K?
4. In a aquarium containing approximately 4.5 gallons of water, how much of each dry fertilizer should I mix with the 215 ml of water to obtain the appropriate ppm in my aquarium (Aquarium will eventually be densely planted).

Thanks in advance,

-Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
This is the way I do it and it may help, I add 10 days of dry fertilizer then add an amout of water the can be divided by 10 like 200 ml = 10 doses at 20 ml each, but you will have a little extra but the time you add dry ferts to the water.

N is nitrogen, P is potash, and K is potassium

I'll be back

Edit: Just to make sure you know EI dosing is for high growth tanks or high tech so that means high light & C02, is your 4.5 high tech?

Dry Dosing Plantex CSM+B...
Converting 1 tablespoon to 250ml H20,
20 ml = 1/4 teaspoon of dry fertilizer.
There are 12 - 1/4 teaspoons dissolved
250ml/12=20.83ml.

20~40gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek
1/2 Tsp-GH booster once a week
5ml or 1/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
1-2ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

The above is copied from the Dosing Sticky at the top of this section but you would want to cut these amounts in half.

Also N,P,K are macro nutrients or the big 3 plants eat a lot of, you will also need micro nutrients like the Plantex CSM+B and Fe if you want to go full tilt.

IMO this is a lot of work for a 4.5 g, there is certainly nothing wrong with it if you would like to go this direction but in this instance it may be eaiser to just dose some of Seachems line of Flourish products to get what you need and a 500 ml bottle of each would last you a long time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
P is actually phosphorous.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks Jeff!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I just looked at you tank and it's very nice, very clean, and not much volume for making mistakes. I have a couple of suggestions, it looks like your substrate has some nutients and you have good lighting and I would leave it at that and if the palnts you have do'nt like it move on to something that will grow good in your tank or use some good root tabs every 3 months if you have a needy plant or just want to boost growth, Good Luck.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think I figured it out!

I went to http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/index.htm and I think that I figured out how much of each dry fertilizer is needed in 215 ml of water. Heres what I did in steps so if anything is wrong someone can let me know.

Macro Solution containing Potassium Nitrate and Mono Potassium Phosphate:

1. The website stated that the Macro Solution needed 33 grams of Potassium Nitrate and 7.2 grams of Mono Potassium Phosphate per 250 ml of water. Since I am only using 215 ml of water I took 250/33 which resulted in 7.57. This told me that for each gram of Potassium required there was also 7.57 ml of water required. So, naturally I figured out the difference in water 250ml-215ml which equaled a 35 ml difference. I then divide 35 from 8 which gave me the amount of Potassium Nitrate that I would need to remove from the original 33 grams, thus my solution would only need approximately 28 grams of Potassium Nitrate.

2. Similar to above I took the recommended amount of amount of Mono Potassium Phosphate required in a 250 ml solution and divided 250 from 7.2 (the required amount of the fertilizer) this resulted in 34.7. So, that told me that for each gram of Mono Potassium Phosphate used there was an accompanying 34.7 grams of water. Once again the difference between the two solutions (water wise) was 35 grams. I then divided 35 from 34.7 which resulted in 1.00864 grams of fertilizer needing removed from the original 7.2 grams.

3. The results of the previous two steps showed that I needed to mix 28 grams of Potassium Nitrate and 6.2 grams of Mono Potassium Phosphate in 215 ml of water in order to achieve 8ppm Nitrate and 2 ppm Phosphate per dose.

-Drew
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
I just looked at you tank and it's very nice, very clean, and not much volume for making mistakes. I have a couple of suggestions, it looks like your substrate has some nutients and you have good lighting and I would leave it at that and if the palnts you have do'nt like it move on to something that will grow good in your tank or use some good root tabs every 3 months if you have a needy plant or just want to boost growth, Good Luck.
I actually just rescaped it and I like it much better now! The rocks in the last scape took up way too much space in the tank! I will post pictures after my Hygrophila Corymbosa Kompact recover from the deficiency that I probably caused.

-Drew

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode