Can I dose Sodium Silicate to encourage diatoms? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Can I dose Sodium Silicate to encourage diatoms?

I used to have some diatoms in my 46 gal low tech and low light tank, so I got 8 ottos to get rid of it, which they did in a couple of weeks. Now I have staghorn and green spot algae, which I didn't have before, and the ottos are starving. I read somewhere that diatoms keep other types of algae in check. Is this true, and, if so, can I dose Sodium Silicate to get some diatoms back? I prefer diatoms to staghorn and green spot algae, and so do the ottos!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have all 3 coexisting happily in my 33 gallon, so I would beg to differ that diatoms eliminate other algae. You need to find the root cause of your algae and stop it from there - reduce your light intensity or photoperiod, adjust your ferts, add more circulation to your tank, try flourish excel, etc. Posting your tank specs will enable people to help you better.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Here are my water parameters: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10ppm, GH 120, KH 80, pH 6.6, Temperature 80F

Tank internal dimensions are 65.5" long x 13" wide x 12.75" deep, so the internal volume is 47 gal. Volume of the water in the tank is about 34 gal. My filter pump is rated at 480gph.

I have a 50W 5000K LED strip light that I keep on for 8 hours a day at 50% intensity (I have a LED dimmer).

I have a 3" layer of Eco-Complete, I use RootMedic Complete Original root tabs, and I dose Flourish Excel daily at the recommended dosage. I also dose Flourish Potassium every other day and Flourish Comprehensive once every three days at the recommended dosages.

RootMedic Liquid Macro & Micro Solutions and a paintball CO2 system are on their way. Then I'll stop dosing Flourish and Flourish Potassium, and start dosing RootMedic Liquids, so that I'll also have Nitrogen and Phosphorus.

Any suggestions for getting rid of Staghorn and Green Spot Algae will be appreciated!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode