rain water ph? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
rain water ph?

i have access to a rain water tub but i took a sample.. and the GH reads 0 but the ph is about 7.2... does this seem right? if so how can i lower the ph without altering the GH to much, i want to keep it nice and low to breed some tetras.. the sample was in a linctus bottle which proberly didnt help much, ill have to get a sample in something a bit cleaner.
any ideas? i suppose i could use peat to lower it but how about just useing a PH down, even if it creates algae it wont really matter because its only in a breeding tank. a washing up bowl to be precise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Real clean rainwater has a pH of around 7[Edit: No it has not, like mentioned further below], like the kind you sampled. It doesn't have any buffering, so in areas with "acid rain" it can have a much lower pH due to sulfur dioxide pollution or whatnot.

I would not use pH down, the associated pH fluctuations are probably not a good thing. Peat sounds better...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Additionally, be careful of where the run off into container came from, that in itself can introduce less than natural things.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Real clean rainwater has a pH of around 7,
Actually, pure rainwater is about pH=5. Since there is no KH, but there is dissolved CO2, it will always be below 7. The same is true for DI/RO water. The scary thing is that "acid" rain can actually be below pH=3! No surprise that it can kill fish in lakes with very little natural KH buffering!

I would guess your rainwater was contaminated by something in the container. Again, no KH so the pH can swing dramatically.

Kevin

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was wondering about that, rain water is essentially distilled water, but I thought distilled water had a pH of 6. I'll take your word for it though, it's 5.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

overnight the tube that i tested the ph in seemed to stabilise, its now at 6.6 maybe it was because its been stored for a while with no light or air, i think it just runs from a felt or like concrete asbestos roof.. but i will find out, i dont think it gets much contact with the roof before it reaches the pipes and the barrel, the water seemed to be pretty clear and clean.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

yup it comes off a felt roof, the cladding is fitted up to a small garden shed and is most proberly plastic PVC or something. looks like ive found a source of good water finaly.

can anyone suggest any methods i can put it thought to make sure its clean enought, partical filtration i know but it doesent really need that, shall i filter it though carbon? or will this change the parameters, the place where it is collected is sort of between towns and away from most pollution. is there anything i should do to remove any fungus or any nastys that will attack eggs?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode