Plant Hormones - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
Plant Hormones

I have recently been doing some light research on plant hormones. This research was tipped off by trying to figure out the purpose and content of ADA's Green Gain. From what I can determine, Green Gain is a solution of nutrients and a hormone called Cytokinin, which serves the purpose of of promoting cell division in plants. It is recommended that the green gain be added after trimming to prevent plants from experiencing shock. This seems to make sense but some people claim green gain is just high priced snake oil.

My questions: is there an appreciable effect of green gain on aquatic plants? Does anyone know what kind of cytokinin is used in green gain? Are there potentially other plant hormones that would benefit aquatic plant growth?

Thanks!
BJ

• Newest Journal:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • Previous Grow Outs:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • My Visit to the ADA Nature Aquarium Gallery -
    -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
None that I can tell.

There is scant real evidence that adding exogenous plant growth regulators(PGR's) will enhance AQUATIC PLANTS. Actually none I could fine to support this. ENDOGENOUSLY produced do cause such growth regulations.

This is very different than a one time temp fix or application to the water.

Folk's can and have used pgr's extensively for tissue culture and that also is very different.

You can also buy specific pgr's from supply companies. I've done this, never found much use for them when the simple basics of plant growth was addressed, plants when given good conditions do not need anything else, super thrive, various other things can be bought and tried, but no one has shown anything significant.

Put another way: if the plant lacks or is limited by bthe basic building blocks, trying to squeeze more out is not going to do much or get much vegetative growth in return.

Crypts flower more with application etc, that's the only study I've seen and repeated and confirmed it.'

Maybe you want larger grapes or fruit, but veg growth? not much is going to help, some folk's migth dip the tips of their stem plants into "rooting hormone" stuff they get at the nursery.

Much more trouble than is EVER needed to grow weedy stem plants however.

Search UF tissue cukture, mike kane etc.

I hack my 120 gal with reckless abandon...........there's no "shock".

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
reckless abandon? I'D LOVE to see that! i just can't imagine any of your tanks looking chaotic

Sump Pimp #7

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I did some non-scientific studies with super thrive in the late 60's. It was with terrestrial plants. I'd get more growth (taller) but it seems more leggy. I might have been able to overcome that type/style of growth with higher levels of other nutrients but at 13 years old I didn't think of that. lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode