Aquarium near bathroom? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Aquarium near bathroom?

I notice there's almost always a slight film on the water surface and I can never quite get it to go away. My room is 90degrees with that bathroom and mom sprays quite a lot of stuff (hairspray, deodorant, baby powder, etc.) in it and I can usually smell it in my room. Has anyone had any issues associated with this or should it be alright?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I wouldn't think that enough of the airborne stuff will reach the tank to make any difference.

Your thread title had me thinking other things though, like poor fish. lol
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Methane Gas is toxic......LOL

Try a little more surface agitation that helps emensly or a surface skimmer.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I use a Koralia Nano 240 for surface agitation and my lily pipe outflow is close to the surface. It's not close enough to be gassed from using the toilet, no worries. I'm more concerned about the chemicals in the sprays.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

even with the surface agitation and a skimmer you have the slime? wow! It must be coming from a steady source in order to build up enough so you can see it, shouldn't the skimmer filter it out over time? Maybe it is your Mom's hair products. What kind of hairdo does she keep?lol
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Extra strength hairspray (firm hold, whatever you want to call it) and spray deodorant. Take your pick as to which is causing it. Also, it's more of an oil slick with a slight shine than anything...but it's still bothersome.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Move the tank?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Don't have any other place in my room for it.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Move the tank?
Ya, if you felt like experimenting moving it would definitely tell you if thats the issue.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Planted Member

I GOT IT! Put a little fan above your tank and have it blowing the "Bathroom air" away :P

^ totally legit!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 07:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Lid? Hahaha just to point out the obvious. Then you can rule out contaminants making the sludge
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 07:28 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Its a protien film. You can skim it, or use a paper towel to get it off. I not 100% sure but I have personally linked it to ferts. Others link it to dying plant leaves/decay in your tank. I havent solved it along with others but it does eventually just go away.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 01:07 AM
Algae Grower

I have had the same issue no bathroom close by! I used a surface skimmer to suck the skum in and let the filter break it down. It worked it cleaned it up. I have another tank with scum I use a power head to break it up. Scums still there but broken up enough to allow oxygen transfer. I noticed when the tank was covered with scum the fish were gasping. Break it up and all is better.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 04:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Raising the lily pipe at night will prevent this from happening. However, since it has formed you will have to do a couple water changes to completely remove it. Surface flow / disruption prevents this from happening (even if you have great flow in the middle of the tank, no flow disruption at the top will still cause it, so say, the Violet Glass Do!Aqua lily pipes will cause this protein film (because they put flow in the middle of the aquarium) and the lily pipes proper will prevent it from happening because flow is at the top.

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 04:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
and by raise lily pipe I mean lift it up so that instead of being totally under water about half to 1/3 of the output is above water, this causes oxygenation of the water and intense disruption.

The more the lily pipe is out of water, the more intense the oxygenation process is.

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode