Good testing equipment? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Cheeseybacon Send a message via Yahoo to Cheeseybacon
Good testing equipment?

I went to the LFS tonight and bought a "Master Test Kit." The store is mostly saltwater oriented, but there were a few good looking planted tanks, and the guy running the place sorta seemed like he knew what he was talking about and said the kit would take care of anything that I could possible want to test for, so trusted him and bought the kit. Turns out this "Master" kit only tests PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia. I'm by no means an expert on this stuff, but just from a quick glance at some of the threads on this forum, I know it couldn't take care of the all the parameters that are needed for planted tank. What parameters should I be looking at, and what are some decent (yet economical) test kits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
You're going to get a lot of questions on test kits. But if you are using CO2, you are certainly going to want a KH kit. And if you are using a full maro fert regimine, you'll want a test for phosphates.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 01:29 AM
Planted Member

looks like you still need KH/GH combo kit and Phosphate Po4.

ernest

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Some people like to get Fe or Co2 test kits as well, but the Fe(iron) test kits tend to be inaccurate, or so I've heard. The Co2 test kits are pretty useless since you can use the chart as long as you know the KH and pH of your water --- Co2 test kits, in this situation, would only be for verifying the accuracy of your KH/Ph kits and/or if anything else is contributing to the ph/Kh readings...

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 12:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

I use the Mardel 5-in-1 dipsticks.

Everyone says not to use them, but I for the life of me cannot figure out why. I have compared them to other kits and digital meters and I have found them to be dead-on accurate. Much easier to read as well, especially GH.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode