How to fert after a really big trim? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to fert after a really big trim?

Hi, yesterday a did a really big trim and by big I mean all of my R. Rotundofolia cut to 2 inches, glosso all most no leaves etc.
Now, I wonder, should I keep the same routine, keep the same levels of ppm, light and CO2 injection?Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yup keep everything the same..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
When I was manually dosing, I would cut back a bit after a big trim. Probably about 1/3 less of everything. Sometimes I would skip a day or two. I would often get algae after really excessive trimming and lowering my dosing seemed to minimize it (not prevent it). What I do now is trim plants at different times. It doesn't upset the balance nearly as much.

-Matt

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I never change mine and I might sell 12 or 18 floating pods of Riccia that are 3 to 4 inches in diameter and 1.5 inches thick, plus any trimming I do.

Yes, keep you light, CO2, and ferts the same and all should be well.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, your opinions are quite divided I think I should mention that I fert. with EI system and I too think that I should dial back a little, I just don't know how much.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I don't see a reason to not CO2 levels the same - BUT keep in mind you will need a lower flowrate (eg, bubble count etc) to keep the same level of dissolved CO2 with less plant mass.

Hasn't impacted me much (I turn my Ideal valve one notch less open after big plant mass removals), but I've read of people doing a big trim and gassing their fish. So I close mine a little and then use a drop checker to keep it adjusted as the days pass. But the goal is 20-30 ppm-ish whether I have a packed tank of plants or a heavily trimmed one, just takes different amounts of flow to achieve...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Dial it back and watch the algae form, post a pic for me!

Think about it, your plants have establish a fast nutrient uptake, they are growing good, EI was always based as Estimative and having more nutrients in the water than needed so there is never a shortage, now you decide to take some away after trimming a little of the top. Then if you play with the light and CO2 your going to have problems with algae, growth, and establishing a new balance.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

150EH I didn't take a little of the top.I leveled my tank.But I've decided to resume as usual.And may the gods be with me.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I think you can go either way after a big hack, there's not a huge demand after for ferts.........but, keeping them somewhat stable and responding accordingly is fine also.

I typically add about the same after, never noticed any detrimental effects. I've also dialed it back a little, I guess either way is fine, but you do not avoid algae or reduce fert expense in doing so which the proponents often make as a (false) claim. It does no harm either way, that's the strongest argument in favor of dialing it back or if you lack independence from the ferts, eg CO2/light/maintenance issue.

Still, it's a minor squabbling point, just remember to add enough as the plants fill back in.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Keep everything the same so long as you're satisfied with the current growth and health of your plants.

If you want the plants to come back more quickly after a trim, big rescaping or mail delivery, I definitely recommend dosing ADA Green Gain.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode