Delayed release root capsules really necessary? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Delayed release root capsules really necessary?

Is there any reason to care how long it takes osmocote plus to release their nutrients when they have been submerged in the substrate?

Would there be any benefit to using osmocote which releases the nutrients over 1-2 months or something that releases them immediately?

Plants can only take up the nutrients so fast and the nutrients should be trapped in the substrate, so they should still be there and possibly more available to the plants so they can grow to their maximum.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Concentrated fertilizer can burn plants in long enough contact time.
Try Googling with "fertilizer burn". But if the amount is right, it doesn't
need to be slow release.

BTW, I clean my tank pipes by rubbing them with KNO3 (KH2PO4 works well too,
if not even better). It burns algae to death.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH2PO4 View Post
Concentrated fertilizer can burn plants in long enough contact time.
Try Googling with "fertilizer burn". But if the amount is right, it doesn't
need to be slow release.

BTW, I clean my tank pipes by rubbing them with KNO3 (KH2PO4 works well too,
if not even better). It burns algae to death.
this is mostly for lawns but in water i havent seen it yet, not at our levels but yes it could be done. i dont see any negative effects from just using the reg stuff, i dont even bury mine i just sprinkel it in and when i trim or replant it might bet burryed but i still see it on top and i can acutally watch the level drop in the shell. ive also crushed them an blended them into a water form and use them that way but no ill effects. the only negative that ive noticed it from me tryin to add to much at once, an u cant blame the fert for my error *really a test*

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoticAquatic View Post
this is mostly for lawns but in water i havent seen it yet, not at our levels but yes it could be done. i dont see any negative effects from just using the reg stuff, i dont even bury mine i just sprinkel it in and when i trim or replant it might bet burryed but i still see it on top and i can acutally watch the level drop in the shell. ive also crushed them an blended them into a water form and use them that way but no ill effects. the only negative that ive noticed it from me tryin to add to much at once, an u cant blame the fert for my error *really a test*
So do you think the there is any benefit to having delayed release capsules?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

slower would mean less frequent need for adding them or you can add more with less worry about the water being over saturated all of the sudden, so yes there are benefits to them. with everything in this hobby/more like lifestyle you need to ask yourself is it needed for your set up? to much ferts can be a issue for fauna less likely for our flora due to it being diluted so much.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoticAquatic View Post
slower would mean less frequent need for adding them or you can add more with less worry about the water being over saturated all of the sudden, so yes there are benefits to them. with everything in this hobby/more like lifestyle you need to ask yourself is it needed for your set up? to much ferts can be a issue for fauna less likely for our flora due to it being diluted so much.
Would root capsules leach out into the water column? Assuming they are pushed to the bottom of the substrate?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
Would root capsules leach out into the water column? Assuming they are pushed to the bottom of the substrate?
technicly yes but id have to say it depends on how deep what substrate, cec content ext ext to say how much would leach out into the water colum so that idk, and then you still have a variable of how fast uptake your plants are using it. so i cant really say one way or the other if its a issue, all i can say is i dont bury mine and dont have a issue from it my tank is very very high light and co2 with a very large plant mass.

id say try it out and see for yourself if it becomes an issue a simple wc will remove excess from the water colum. i highly doubt it will be a issue for u, from my experiance.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode