no phosphate no algae? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
no phosphate no algae?

I ran out of phosphate as part of my EI dosing in a high tech 75g with injected CO2 so I stopped dosing phosphate for the last 6 weeks. I have noticed no issues in plant growth BUT I have not had to scrape ANY algae from the front glass for 6 weeks.

I used to get hard circle green algae and now I have zero and no new algae.

I wonder if anyone else has seen this before, I suspect the plants get enough phosphate from fish food and waste and algae gets known.

My plant growth rate has not changed and no plants are suffering at all. The tank is even less maintenance now that I don't even need to scrape hard algae from the front glass at all.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
75 Gallon High Tech Planted Tank (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) 220 Gallon African Cichlid tank (
)
Ponds

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
What lighting do you have on the tank? Light determines the requirements for everything else.

Hoppy
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have 2 x 54W T5HO lights on for 9 hours a day. I have had this tank running for over 2 years and only now do I have no algae and the lighting has been setup the same as well.

)
Ponds

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
are you using aqua soil?

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by newday3000 View Post
Anyone else have a similar experience?
Me.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Algae Grower

I've always had all sorts of issues with all sorts of algae but the worst for me was with diatoms and that was when I removed antiphosphate ceramics and start adding KH2PO4.It took me a wile to ''connect'' the dots and I return the ceramics to remove silicates which I blamed for the diatoms and after 2-3 weeks the diatoms were gone but green dot algae were there, so I choose one of lesser evils and started scraping glass every day or so humbled .
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am using eco so not much phosphate coming from it. I will how long before I need to scrape but it's been at least 3-4 weeks already.

)
Ponds

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/100%)
By any chance, did you test for PO4 to see if it's registering 0ppm? How's your bioload?

- Message posted using Tapatalk app via iPad -

Filstar Pimp #151

Eheim Pimp #458
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just tested it and it's .5 ppm of PO4 so it's seems it's good. I guess this means my bioload is sufficient to produce enough PO4 and don't need to add any in my EI fert mix anylonger.

I assume as a mature tank 2 years old that it no longer needs PO4 added for plants with enough fish in it?

)
Ponds

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/100%)
It seems the bioload (+ other decaying matter) has taken care of your PO4... But still, keep an eye on you plants for deficiency/ies specially if you added more plants or if the plants have overgrown (forgot to trim) your tank in the future because their nutrient demand will be more... Just my 2 cents...

- Message posted using Tapatalk app via iPad -

Filstar Pimp #151

Eheim Pimp #458
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have not added fish or plants to the tank in months, it seems very stable with the current bioload. Tank is heavily planted and I remove a bucket of plants every 2 weeks when I trim. It's seems to have it an equilibrium

)
Ponds

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
This is an unusual experience. A huge number of people dose phosphates regularly, following the EI method, and no algae problems result. I don't know why you have had the experience you had. We do know for sure that dosing phosphates does not cause algae problems in a planted aquarium. When so many people do so, and do not get algae problems, that clearly proves that dosing phosphates does not cause algae problems.

In fact a very large number of us have found that if we dose even more phosphates than called for in the EI tables, we can greatly reduce green spot algae problems. GSA is much more difficult to handle with routine maintenance than green dust algae, because it can be extremely hard to scrape off.

Hoppy
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Algae Grower

I will add that I have no phosphates in my water, but I still have algae issues.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post

In fact a very large number of us have found that if we dose even more phosphates than called for in the EI tables, we can greatly reduce green spot algae problems. GSA is much more difficult to handle with routine maintenance than green dust algae, because it can be extremely hard to scrape off.
A question:Is GDA somehow related to Phosphates?
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.shephard26 View Post
A question:Is GDA somehow related to Phosphates?
Is there any algae that is related to nutrient levels?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode