Possible Deficiencies - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Possible Deficiencies

I think I'm running into a difficiency problem. My l.repens, r. indica, and sunset hygro have lost their red tint. However my l. gladulosa, tiger lotus, parrots feather, and a. reniekii have retained theirs. I have been seeing pinholes on the l. gladulosa, and l. repens. Also alot of my stem plants have been sending out tons of stem roots. I have lowered nitrate recently to about 10 ppm and have raised phosphate to about 2 ppm. I also just increased my potassium dosing to 3/4 tsp when I dose macros. I also dose 3 ml iron with macros, and 6 ml Flourish alternating the two. 37 gallons with 3.25 wpg. Should I just increase the Flourish and iron dosing, or is there some other problem. I've been trying to work this out on my own and now am asking for help.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:14 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
if the pinholes are on the older leaves ...

Choice C => potassium. When you reduced your nitrate, you reduce dosing KNO3 (which also has potassium) but this offset a little with your increase Potassium dosing. I would add a little more potassium and see what happens.

IMHE, r. indica, and sunset hygro turn red because of bright light and l. gladulosa and a. reniekii turn red because of reduced nitrate. Are the other two in shaded areas?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

No, they aren't shaded at all. The r. indica is laying across the top of the water. I did just rescape my tank twice in the last week, also removing the stem roots. Could that have stressed the plants? The l. repens lost it's red as soon as I placed it out of the shade. When it was shaded it was red.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Anytime you move or prune it's going to take a week or so to see them start to color up and start to grow again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Pruning will help put on more root growth.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:26 AM

150EH,

Can I be monkey #2? That post had me ROFL

Thom => monkey #2 wanna be
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

ROFLMAO, just because you knew what it meant. Yeah I got a kick out of that post too. I think you absolutely should be monkey#2.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I thought that moving or pruning didn't stress them. Guess I was wrong.

Filstar pimp #53

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
I thought that moving or pruning didn't stress them. Guess I was wrong.
It shouldn't be a problem, just give them a week or so. I've learn in my tank not to dose for a week after a major pruning, thining, or re-scape, because the plants are kind of in recovery. After the next water change I dose lightly and when the plant really start to take off I dose close to the normal levels that you'll see here on the forum. Then I start the torture all over again.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH
I've learn in my tank not to dose for a week after a major pruning, thining, or re-scape
I learned that too. I wonder if that's just the hose hitting us?

I try not to move my heavy rooters like swords too. They have such a huge rooting systems that it pulls most of my substrate up too.

As a side note (I stole this Idea from Gomer), I have a lot of Anubias in my tank. I tie them to small peices of wood. When I want to move things around, I just pick up the wood, move it to where I want it, then cover it up a little with the substrate so the wood isn't so noticable.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I just pulled up a 'Rubin' that was 40" tall and had 12" of root, the hole it left in the florite looked like a bomb site. I could have divided it into 10 pieces or so, but I trimmed the roots down to about three inches and put 1/10 of the original back in the tank. It was really wild how much root the thing had, the whole left side of the tanks substrate was lifting off of the bottom, I had to shake it for a couple of minutes and still ended up with a pound of florite in the sink.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

What about the stems coming out of the roots? What does that indicate? I know there is a thread for this but am lazy.

Filstar pimp #53

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 04:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Do you mean roots coming out of the stems? That's normal, since an aquatic plant can have wet roots above the soil (sunlight won't dry them) they do put out roots looking for extra nutrients and extra future achoring points. If they bother you or just become to nasty to look at you can trim them of with little or no effect to the plant.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Micros Overdose

How do you know when you are dosing too much micros and iron? Is algae the determining factor?

Filstar pimp #53

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Anthony, do you have Chuck Gadd's nutrient calculator:http://www.csd.net/%7Ecgadd/aqua/art_plant_aquacalc.htm

There is also a list of "Warning signs of Nutrient Deficiency" at his site: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm

There are some other calculators out there, but I like the suggested nutrient levels on Chuck's. Just don't over do it and you'll be fine.

This calculator deals more with micros: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ertilator.php?, you might have join the forum to use the Fertilator.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode