Coconut fiber/husk used for softening? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Coconut fiber/husk used for softening?

Odd question but i noticed in my anubias emersed setup how fast and how much the husk and loose fiber leech tannins, the water is fairly dark brown and reddish I was wondering if it would be safe to boil in distilled water and using it to soften or atleast give a tea like color to my tank. I've used leaf litter from the yard before but it is getting annoying having to bake first and pick the right leaves out. to specify what husk and loose fiber I have in mind the husk is exo terra the fiber is zoo med eco earth. i may end up trying it if no one has experience but it would be a shame to hurt my Cichlid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

has anyone tried this before?

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
i would opt for a cleaner product than those distributed by exo terra or zoo med, but i see no issues using coco to produce a tea color for your water column. should be very effective. probably cheaper per volume, too.

i typically use the green brick here... http://www.generalhydroponics.com/ge...S/cokotek.html
it's clean and uniform and pressed well. haven't had a single critter hatch from any of the bricks out of anyone i've referred them to. something that simply cannot be said especially of eco earth. from what i've been told, the salinity is also minimal which suggests pre packaging processes are quite good considering coco husk/coir is known to have a fair amount prior to processing.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thanks alot, i'll exercise caution when choosing the product just exo terra as an example since i use it for frogs and have tons around. gonna check out some hydro products also

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 05:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
understandable. i suspect you may one day just expect finer products for your substrates for your frogs as well. after using a fine coco substrate you may get spoiled. if your frog enclosures are full-on grow areas (viv, palu, etc.) you may want to take a look at some abg mixes as well. just throwing that out there in case you haven't considered or heard of it.

in general... if you've got a good hydro store nearby, you should definitely check it out if you're growing anything in confined glass/acrylic boxes. lots of little "knick knacks and doo dads" to play with. likely to save money and get better products as well.

i think i'm "that freebie guy" at my local hydro shop. every time i walk in it seems whatever i am looking for is so cheap they wind up just giving it to me. hydroton in small amounts for a drainage layer, spray nozzles, one or two bricks of coco fiber, small bag of worm castings, a few small baskets for plants, etc.. i love my local shop. hope you have the same experience.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I use abg =] love the stuff even use it for house plants and fruit tree sapplings. and dang you're lucky i hope i find another that is as generous the closest one to me is cheap as dirt but no unused freebies =p

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode