deficiency - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
deficiency

i am starting to experience some growing issues. Some select stems of my r. rotundifolia seem to be stunted. The leaves are smallish. In my Hygro sp. tiger, growth directly under the light is curved while sideshoots down at the base, recieving very dim light are growing perfectly. I have seen that it could be iron, magnesium or boron.
Its a 29 gallon with t5s( 1.5 to 3 watts depending on the time of day)
78 degress f
7.2 ph
gh 12
kh 4
nitrates 10-20 ppm
phosphates are dosed and are around 1-2 ppm
iron- .15 dosed 3xs a week
K dry dosed for 10ppm twice a week
Flourish comp 3ml twice a week
excel daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
T5HO lights are too bright for a 29 gallon tank, unless they are suspended several inches above the top of the tank. T5NO lights, like the Coralife lights, are good for 29 gallon tanks. If you are using up to 87 watts of T5HO bulbs, you have way too much light unless you fertilize non-limiting amounts of all of the nutrients, use CO2, with the bubble rate very near that which will kill some fish, and do daily good maintenance of the tank.

I suspect that your plants that aren't doing well are just being starved for nutrients by the faster growing plants hogging all of the nutrients and, most importantly, not getting nearly enough CO2.

Hoppy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Its just weird, everything can be going fine for months, then all of a sudden, bam.
Cryptocoryne lutea i assume is doing well, the one motherplant has been flowering weekly with at least one flower, sometimes two or three on the same plant . I do use seachems root tabs and add more every 3 months to their spot.
Bolbitus is exploding and i trim it every couple of months.
I also had pressurized co2 but i also had the deficiency problem, in fact it was worse. Thats off to tank since the regulator broke.
What would you think about going back to my old lighting system. Its a coralife fixture with one 65 watt tube. That would put me at about 2 watts a gallon. I did do pretty good with this before but i thought i could do better with the t5. I also had no deficiencies. I just couldnt grow high ligh plants, i guess due to no co2 injections.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 01:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

I recommend a spray bar for circulation and attach a co2 line to it to act as diffuser of gas and dosing nutrients.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode