Algae Bloom? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Algae Bloom?

Hey all!

This is my first post, since until recently my tank was completely a Malawi hardscape.

Still, I've been a lurker for a long while now. I plan on setting up a planted nano in the near future, and you guys have been invaluable in learning all the dos and donts.

Anyhow, I was hoping to get some advice on what could be causing the murkiness in my water.

I'm just going to cut and paste the relavant info over from my local forum:

Is it possible to have an algae bloom in the water column (clouding the water with a slight green tinge), but not have any visible algae forming on the surfaces of rocks, glass or substrate?

I've been doing 25% WCs weekly (2x this week). All water added back has been treated with Prime prior to being pumped in to the tank.

Water parameters are all good:

pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

The fish all seem happy! I'm just sick of the haze .

I'd thought it might be a bacterial bloom, as I added a doubled the bioload, but its been around for awhile now.

Current stocking:

10 - Melanochromis Auratus
5 - Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei"
3 - Metriaclima sp. "BB Zebra Chilumba"
2 - Synodontis Cats (Not sure which - but for $7ea, I don't think they're anything fancy .

I'm using two Fluval 405s for filtration: One has >[Carbon][Carbon][Biomedia][Biomedia]>, the other has >[Purigen][Biomedia][Biomedia][Filter Floss]>.

I'll be adding a Hydor powerhead (Evolution 750) one UPS drops it off this evening. I've cut back on feeding, but only to 1x daily. I've been feeding a small enough amount that they devour it all in ~30 seconds or less.

Lights are on a timer, and are on from 8am-noon, and from 3pm-8pm.

Any thoughts on what could be going on, and what I should do (if anything?).

Here are some more crappy iPhone pics - this time the haze is not a photoshop added effect

They're huge fans of the camera... They love me... it has nothing to do with food.

They've done a great job at dislodging all of the Java Moss I added... even pulling it when it was tied down. Going to try to tie the stuff down one final time before I give up.

From the front, the tank looks cloudy, but not overly green. Here is a shot from the side:

That, obviously, looks terrible! All advice is welcome. Thanks!

Here's the link to the original thread over on houstonfishbox.com in case anyone cars Tank is a 90g.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Hey, welcome..
That's what we call Green water. They're diatomic algae. They like light so if you leave it off and do a lot of massive water changes, it'll go away. Another option is running a UV sterilizer. That'll kill the diatoms.

They are harmless to your fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks

Hope the fish like the dark.

Can I also try utlizing a diatom filter? Are there diatom "bags" that I could put in the fluval canister's compartments?

Thanks again!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I good UV sterilizer will clear it up in a day (or a few). Take a look at this site:

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....terilizer.html

I got a couple of different UV sterilizers from them and they have great customer service.

Marineland 26 bow front:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40 gallon breeder (and 20 gallon long):

10 gallon with PAR30 LED:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks all.

Lowered the photoperiod and have a UV sterilizer on the way!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 02:32 AM

Just set up a new tank three weeks ago. It was doing great until I added some aquarium salt. Within 24 hours the water was cloudy. Now I can't see across the width of my aquarium. I'll look for a UV sterilizer tomorrow.

Thanks
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 04:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You should bag that water up and give it to people trying to breed amanos haha
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
i had the same problem. 50% wc, every 4 or 5 days. and patience.
what size is your tank?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 04:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big O View Post
i had the same problem. 50% wc, every 4 or 5 days. and patience.
what size is your tank?
i wish i had a tank where icould do a 50% WC and it only takes a min lol its had to do with a 150 gallon
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Plantbrain does it routinely with tanks even bigger than 150 gallons. He uses an ordinary water hose, siphons water out to outdoors on the plantings, then hooks it up to a shower fitting to refill the tank. It doesn't take just a minute, but is less than 30 minutes. Part of the "secret" is having a special PVC pipe setup on the end of the hose to diffuse the incoming water so it doesn't blast the substrate, plants, fish, etc. He has shown us photos of the setup several times.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode