What are my plants lacking? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
What are my plants lacking?

These are amazon swords. Two different plants. Both a good foot tall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1320712284153.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	37305  

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1320712304700.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	37306  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have this same issue, I usually just clip them off, assumed it was b/c it was older leaves or b/c larger leaves were blocking light. Subscribed to learn!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Anyone?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Do you inject CO2, I have found on a few other threads that sometimes in non CO2 tanks the leaves can sort of 'melt' like that, but overall the plant will still grow well. The tank mine are in doesn't have CO2 so it could be possible. But I'm not an expert.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
ok to start. what are you water parameters? photo period, light setup c02 or non c02
do you fertilize? if so how?
if you don't fertilize in any way that is a great place to start

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:12 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I too have same issue :-(

By looking at the pics have the same issue........two 1 ltr DIY Co2.......8 hours of light 100 watts........30 G Tank.....started flourish ecxcel for algea issue......no ferts......just started seachem potasium K.......not sure ....what to do .....what ferts how....dont know any testing methode to test please help :-)
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

100 watts of light on a 30g tank with only 1 diy c02 bottle is part of your issue.
check the sticky in the fertilizer and water parameters forum about fertilizing. that will help too.. turn down ur light a lot. that will make a huge difference

Sump Pimp #7

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
by any chance did you buy these plants from petco or petsmart in those little tubes? If so, those leaves were grown out of the water (emersed) so when you put them in the water they die off and new "water grown" (submersed) leaves will grow. If this is the case then just cut those leaves off and let the new leaves grow in.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I know this isn't my thread (sorry psalm) but:

-I bought my Amazons from a good LFS; they're otherwise healthy, I just clip off those ugly leaves; one is even sending out runners

- It's a 10gal with 15watts light and no CO2

- I douse recommended Flourish amount twice weekly, and also use flourish root tabs
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassan_ars View Post
by any chance did you buy these plants from petco or petsmart in those little tubes? If so, those leaves were grown out of the water (emersed) so when you put them in the water they die off and new "water grown" (submersed) leaves will grow. If this is the case then just cut those leaves off and let the new leaves grow in.
i have had several plants from petco/smart and have no issue with transition, the problem could be a number of things i would start by checking the depth of the substrate and start dosing with macros+micros, non co2 injected tanks and injected tanks can get this issue it isn't primarily in non injected tanks. i would put money on nutrient deficiency considering your lighting, but make sure your substrate is deep enough but not over 3 inches without loaches or trumpet snails

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

what's wrong with 3 inches without loaches or snails? as long as the substrate doesn't compact and water flow is good. depth isnt much of an issue

Sump Pimp #7

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
ok to start. what are you water parameters? photo period, light setup c02 or non c02
do you fertilize? if so how?
if you don't fertilize in any way that is a great place to start
Parameters; ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5
Light: indirect sun beams from 12 to 2, 2 T8 light strips from 2:30 to 11
No CO2 injection. Liquid CO2 booster by API 2-3x week.
Fertilizer: Seachem Comp 2x week, oscomote tabs or plant tabs, occasional iron

Forget where plants from, but have had for awhile.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

i'd suggest reducing your photoperiod a few hours. dose api c02 every day, up the comprehensive to a daily dose but smaller amount.

fertilizers are useless without c02. plants are carbon based life forms. without c02 to build complex strings. nothing else can be utilized

Sump Pimp #7

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
IME use 3.5-4 inch substrate I had gas pockets building up roots died off and caused what the OP is experiencing with the plants and depth is an issue even with high flow, all my tanks have fairly strong powerheads and I find the perfect depth without my mts to be about 2.5-3 in some areas for amazons, again just saying from experience, all i am offering is a solution, or a cause either way, and since it seems the op is using sand depth is for sure an issue at some point.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

with sand absolutely depth is a problem. and really it depends on what substrate you use and how you use it.

mine is layered. with laterite, peat, dirt, then 2.5 inches of flourite black for total depth of 3.3 inches. my roots pull out beautiful.. healthy plants send oxygen to the roots

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode