Nitrates jumped from 5 to 90 within a day... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nitrates jumped from 5 to 90 within a day...

Good afternoon!

I'm wondering if anyone knows what causes nitrates to jump through the roof? I've always had problems keeping my nitrates above 0 and now all of a sudden they keep climbing. I added a bunch of plants and 3 otos to my tank and that's when it happened. Does this cause it? My nitrites and ammonia is at 0. My crypts are starting to melt now too very quickly. Will just a water change take care of this?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
any deaths? how are you testing?

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No deaths!!! I have 6 cardinals and 3 otos... I did a partial water change yesterday so I'm going to test when I get home. I used API test kits and did it 3 times. The plants I added were wisteria which I thought sucked up nitrates like a sponge... I had them floating on top though so they were blocking lights to the other plants.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Because of my low nitrates, I've always had problems with BGA. I've been testing and dosing nitrates religiously and now this happened. I don't understand?
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Did you shake the API kit bottle#2 violently on each of the test you did that showed 0 nitrate? What form of NO3 did you add? EI dosing?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

+1 to VIOLENT shaking. also the api nitrate test kits go bad after about a year.
their nitrate test kit is the most finicky IMO.

and if ur dosing nitrates and nothing else. then the plants still can't use the nitrates.. they have to have other nutrients as well.
example. ur body no matter how much u eat, can't use that food without air or water plants work the same way

Sump Pimp #7

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I definitely shook it I mainly have crypts and swords so have root tabs for the traces. I dose KNO3 (powder form I orderd from some website..sorry I can't remember the name offhand). I have 56w of TNO5 over 29g. No CO2.

Thank you.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Do your root tabs contain nitrates? If so, you may have simply disturbed them while planting the wisteria.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just left them floating so didn't disturb the substrate.

I did water change last night and just checked them again..still 90 Could my lights be grtting bad? Should I do another water change or just wait it out?

Thanks!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

lights probably arent getting bad

however with that wattage. u might want to invest in c02 injection or excel.. plants can't use very much fertilizer

Sump Pimp #7

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff View Post
I just left them floating so didn't disturb the substrate.

I did water change last night and just checked them again..still 90 Could my lights be grtting bad? Should I do another water change or just wait it out?

Thanks!

Let's get serious with this. How much NO3 did you dose and how often? Are you doing EI dosing? Do a 50% water change maybe 2 days or so from now. Makes sure the source water has no nitrate. After the water change, test your nitrate level? At this point, your level should be less than 50ppm. If not, something is wrong with your test kit. How long you have been adding NO3 and, again, what amount (what tsp portion)? Since you have no CO2, your plants are probably not taking up nitrate as fast as they should.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have been dosing 1/4 teaspoon on Sundays and by sat they would be down to 0. I had bga a few weeks ago do I did a blkout and started dosing twice a week to keep the nitrates up. I would test before and after just to make sure everything was in line. Last wed I dosed, added the plants and fish on thursday, nitrates jumped on friday.

With that being said I think my test is ok, but I will take my water in tomorrow to be tested to make sure. I will do another water change also. I don't know...maybe it will be fune then?
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 12:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

Rotting Bulbs

I've had similar experiences from rotting aponogetons and onion bulbs.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff View Post
I have been dosing 1/4 teaspoon on Sundays and by sat they would be down to 0. I had bga a few weeks ago do I did a blkout and started dosing twice a week to keep the nitrates up. I would test before and after just to make sure everything was in line. Last wed I dosed, added the plants and fish on thursday, nitrates jumped on friday.

With that being said I think my test is ok, but I will take my water in tomorrow to be tested to make sure. I will do another water change also. I don't know...maybe it will be fune then?

At 1/4 tsp to a 29g water, you are only dosing about less than 10ppm of nitrate. If you only dose twice per week, that's only 20ppm of nitrate you are adding to the tank. To reach to 90ppm, your plants are either not consuming NO3, not growing, or melting, for 2 weeks or more. This could be due to lack of CO2 used. Or your tank is overstocked and you are overfeeding your fish. Or it is possible that your substrate is releasing NO3. What substrate you are using?
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I switched to fluorite on bottom and blasting sand on top. I would say thats two months ago already. I only have 6 cardinals and now 3 otos. I am guessing it could be from that possibly...I have been collecting a lot of detrius ( sp?) on top of my substrate so maybe I disturbed my substrate too much when I did one of my water changes. I tested my water prior to adding it to the tank and those nitrates are 0.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode