Plants melting...again...what causes this? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Plants melting...again...what causes this?

I have had a 29 gallon for about 4-5 years. My first setup went great for almost 2 years, then I had some melting issues which over time destroyed the tank. I tried again, same issue. It often happened right at the substrate so I thought that may be the issue. I replaced it.

Still getting the same problem. It's less so but I just have random plants melt.

Lighting:
It has been either 4x18 T5HO or 6x18 T5HO
CO2-Pressurized unknown regulator, fabco needle valve, glass diffusor
Fertz-Normal EI. However, I don't always get to a weekly water change, every 2 weeks though.

I don't believe it is my lighting or co2. Though I have some algae right now, it doesn't seem to coincide with algae and I haven't had any major algae in this tank. Ferts may be the issue, or lack of water change. I am going to try my best to do every week, maybe more often for the time being if people think it will be helpful.

Some plants melt all the way. Some plants just melt at the base. Rarely, some melt just at the top. Certain plants never melt as well.

I always have attributed this to lack of ferts but could it be the opposite? I really hadn't had this in my tank but I was out of town and couldn't do a water change. I auto dose so it was getting ferts every day. I use 2 fountain pumps so as far as I can tell, they are consistent day to day.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
rotting at the bottom can be a few things
1. not enought c02 6-t5ho is a lot 4-t5ho is probably a lot. i run 2 on my 29 raised to be 30 inches above substrate
2. not enough water flow
3. NOT enough water flow through the substrate

Sump Pimp #7

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
rotting at the bottom can be a few things
1. not enought c02 6-t5ho is a lot 4-t5ho is probably a lot. i run 2 on my 29 raised to be 30 inches above substrate
2. not enough water flow
3. NOT enough water flow through the substrate
From what I have read, my Coralife fixtures (2 bulb) have such bad reflectors that they are known to be equivalent to/less than 1 T5HO bulb. So light isn't that high, I don't think.

Water flow. This could be the case. I only have an Ehiem 2115 on there and it is also older. I use a simple T fitting on top which is not the most efficient for flow, and even more so, gets no flow to the substrate. I plan on upgrading to a 2217 impeller, or maybe just upgrading to something new, as it is noisy and I think it may be something other than the impeller.

-Matt

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
the coralifes are junky, however if u have multiple fixtures they cause bad algae problems IMO. i've had them

may i recommend a powerhead of some sort for extra flow

Sump Pimp #7

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I will try the powerhead. I have one, I just cannot remember where I put it.

As for the lights, I bought them a long time ago. I plan to buy a much better fixture when i have the funds but it's all I have for now.

-Matt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode