foam on surface - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
foam on surface

Hi, some times now I've noticed foam on the surface of the water its not much but still...any explanation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
get a paper towl and dab it till its gone. I would say you need MORE surface aggitation.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
can you test the water? foam is an indicator of high ammonia or nitrites

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, the paper towel thing worked but it will show up again.I suspected its high ammonia or nitrite, my fish doesn't like the new food I bought so it goes to waste a lot.
I've increased KNO3 dosage lately, does that influence ammonia and nitrite levels?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

no it should not.. if u can. pick up some nutrafin cycle. its a great product. it does work. and will convert ammonia to nitrite, the nitrite to nitrate within 3 days tops

and ur tank will be cycled if its not already..

i'd recommend increasing aeration at this time. it will make more foam but will help the process
do a 30% water change today, and tomorrow, and the next day to help regulate things.
that will cut down the foam and reduce levels slowly in the water

Sump Pimp #7

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I need to add more gravel and change my setup a bit so I'll do a massive change of water, up to 80% and hope that will help a bit with the foam, unfortunatle I don't have any nutrafin cycle, since my tank is quite mature, I never bought it...I'd like to know if I wash the new gravel with a tap water should I let it rest for a day so the chlorine (of the tap water) evaporates?Is it safe to use it immediate after the wash can it harm the ''good'' bacteria?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hmm if its a mature tank. What kind of filter do u use? When was the last time u vac'd the gravel? What is ur plant load like? How do u maintain ur tank weekly water changes? Monthly? Fill us in a lil more

Sump Pimp #7

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I use fluval 204, my tank is 100l wich is heavily planted with poggo, glosso, R. rotundofolia, windelow, B. japonyca small version, practically there is no empty space to add something else.I use EI system of fertilization (once a week 50-70% water change),CO2 is pressurized, 3 bubbles a sec. 50-60 lumen's per liter of neon (865) light and not 7 rasboras, three ghost shrimps, three yellow snails and one Beta.Yesterday I add the gravel which was washed with tap water, hope that wont do any damage, I also cleaned my filter(usually I clean it once a month) and usually I vacuum heavily before I change the water.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

WOW.. im surprised u have foamy water at this point. has anythign died? lots of decaying leaves stuck somewhere? change in feeding schedule?
if u recently changed the gravel. u dusted quite a bit of beneficial bacteria in the process but ur filter should have had enough to keep thing stable especially with healthy plants

Sump Pimp #7

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OK, now I'm panicking!!!Can decaying leaves do so much damage?
I didn't change the gravel I added some, just to raise the level, I knew I could cause problems with bacteria and I thought my filter could keep up, plus under the gravel I have lots of laterit for that exact function.My HM wasn't growing nice, the bottom leaves were decaying as if there is not enough light, I've replanted it on Sunday leaving only the healthy parts but I did trim my R.Rotundofolia and didn't collect everything thoroughly cause I didn't wanted to disturb my newly replanted HM.What if I change water say 10-15% every two days? What would that mean for my EI system of fertilization? Should I stop fertilizing? Please reply me on this one, this is important!
One more question Do those yellow snails eat leaves?
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

have you considered it may be your betta? my betta foams up my tank if it has no surface movement, it is a mating thing called a bubble nest, and mine makes them quite large.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpNewbie View Post
have you considered it may be your betta? my betta foams up my tank if it has no surface movement, it is a mating thing called a bubble nest, and mine makes them quite large.
Actually I did, but I've noticed a slight traces of something oily on the surface, I just changed 10l of water and collected all leaves that were floating around and I don't see much of the bubbles.
Hey what about my questions :
Changing small amounts of water and fertilization(EI)?
Fresh washed gravel; should it be introduced in tank since its washed with tap water?
Do the yellow snails eat decaying leaves?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:35 PM
TÝrŰd ─▀ˇűt ╦σ R╔├ÝrŰ.

PTrader: (363/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.shephard26 View Post
Hey what about my questions :
Changing small amounts of water and fertilization(EI)?
Fresh washed gravel; should it be introduced in tank since its washed with tap water?
Do the yellow snails eat decaying leaves?
I see 2 solution to try out... If your Fish aren't eating food you feeding, stop feeding them for 2-3 days and see after they go after the food...thats what happen when i introduced new flakes few weeks back. EI dosing has nothing to do with foam surface, IF the tank is matured then adding freshly washed Gravel won't hurt good bacteria as they are all over the tank and in your filter media.

Next thing is you are disturbing your gravel bed vacuuming heavily in planted tank which is not necessary...."Once in a blue moon" in another story but every week is "No No" which might be the cause of surface foam.

Try not to feed them for few days(they won't die) and see what happens...

Instead of doing 80% water change at once I would do 20% daily for a week or so since you are doing massive changes. Don't clean your filter at least for 2 more weeks after you are done with changes.

Cheers!!!
¬J
"The future's uncertain, and the end is always near."
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

if you're going to replace any gravel i'd recommend sand over gravel any day for plants. it could still be your fish+ another cause

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpNewbie View Post
if you're going to replace any gravel i'd recommend sand over gravel any day for plants. it could still be your fish+ another cause
YES, it is sand, sorry, I got confused, its 1-4mm in diameter and I didn't replace it, I added to increase sand level.I don't know what you mean by fish+?
I don't know how to double quote so I can respond to JORAAN but:
I have changed 80% only once, when I added the new sand and I used that opportunity to ''get out'' as much dirt is possible from the bottom.I usually change 50-70% depends on how did I fertilize that week and if I'm vacuuming more thoroughly.I usually vacuum wile I'm changing water I keep the hose close to bottom and carefully collect dirt in my path.
As for my filter I clean it every month or so.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode