Am I doing this right? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Am I doing this right?

I have tried to wrap my head around CO2 and ferts and lights...but for some reason it isn't sinking in. I think it's a combo of school, work, life...anyways, since I can't make heads or tails of all this at the moment...I'm just going to ask. Does my routine seem right or should I change it up?

Pressurized CO2 with DIY reactor - no bubble checker but the color in my drop checker would indicate pH of 6.5

Ferts - PPS Classic with the following:

Micro
40g CSM+B
1.5 Tablespoons of 11% Iron

Macro
29.5g K2SO4
32.5g KNO3
3g KH2PO4
20.5 MgSO4

All mixed with 16oz (ml) of water and I'm dosing 7.5ml of macro every other day, 7.5ml on the other days.

Lights - T5HO 54x2

Plants include a several crypts, Java Fern, Amazon Sword, a Kleiner Baer sword, some moss, a couple anubias, few other various plants...most of them also have root tabs.

No real issues at this point...been doing this for a couple weeks now. There is some growth. The moss is loaded with hair algae, there is brown diatoms on the glass and rocks but that was there before I started this routine, and I just started seeing green algae on the glass. I did have some more lights in addition to the above but I removed those yesterday and I also cut the lights back from 8 hours to 7 hours to see if that helps.

I am open to suggestions and thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
I am relatively new to running CO2 and ferts for a planted tank but here is what I have learned in the last 4 months or so. If I state something wrong I hope I will be corrected by the veterans on this site.

This is from another post on the subforum started by Sewingalot - which I suggest you read as there is some good info in there. BUT, the crux of what I want to say is what Tom Barr and others have stated in that post: Light drives a plant's demand for CO2 which in turn drives a plant's demand for nutrients.

So, if you crank the lights that is telling the plants to grow. If plants have enough CO2 they will then gobble up nutrients. If the don't have enough CO2 they won't take up as many nutrients as they otherwise could, regardless of how how high your light is and how many nutrients you have in the tank (soil or water column).

It seems like you are on the right track. I would keep the current routine for a couple of weeks and see how things settle in. The PPS regimens are pretty lean and you may find that you will need to modify them to suit the needs of your tank. I know I had to up the phosphates in order to combat Green Spot Algae. I also had Green Dust Algae until I cut back on the lights and photoperiod. I can say now that I am pretty free of nuisance algae and the plants are growing pretty well with the modified PPS Pro routine I am using.

Green Algae on glass: If it is Green Dust Algae, try cutting back on light - that worked for me. If it is Green Spot Algae, increase phosphate. The plants are likely gobbling up whatever phosphate you have which allows GSA to appear. I have to keep phosphate levels around 2-3ppm to keep GSA at bay. Note: I am mainly dosing the water column.

As far as proper CO2 levels - some people suggest using as much as possible before your fauna get distressed. Others would say to use less. But this will be driven by your lighting. The more intense lighting and longer photoperiod, the more CO2 you are going to need. Vice versa for lower light tanks. IIRC Rex Grigg recommends shooting for a full 1 point drop in pH from when the CO2 is on to when it is off. So if you don't run your CO2 at night, take a sample in the morning before your CO2 turns on, then take a sample at night right before your CO2 turns off. If you get a 1 point drop you are on the right track. I wouldn't bother using those charts that use water hardness and pH to determine CO2 ppm since that makes assumptions that don't hold up if you have things in your tank such as rocks and driftwood that also have an effect on pH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
I have tried to wrap my head around CO2 and ferts and lights...but for some reason it isn't sinking in. I think it's a combo of school, work, life...anyways, since I can't make heads or tails of all this at the moment...I'm just going to ask. Does my routine seem right or should I change it up?

Pressurized CO2 with DIY reactor - no bubble checker but the color in my drop checker would indicate pH of 6.5

Ferts - PPS Classic with the following:

Micro
40g CSM+B
1.5 Tablespoons of 11% Iron

Macro
29.5g K2SO4
32.5g KNO3
3g KH2PO4
20.5 MgSO4

All mixed with 16oz (ml) of water and I'm dosing 7.5ml of macro every other day, 7.5ml on the other days.

Lights - T5HO 54x2

Plants include a several crypts, Java Fern, Amazon Sword, a Kleiner Baer sword, some moss, a couple anubias, few other various plants...most of them also have root tabs.

No real issues at this point...been doing this for a couple weeks now. There is some growth. The moss is loaded with hair algae, there is brown diatoms on the glass and rocks but that was there before I started this routine, and I just started seeing green algae on the glass. I did have some more lights in addition to the above but I removed those yesterday and I also cut the lights back from 8 hours to 7 hours to see if that helps.

I am open to suggestions and thanks for reading.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
big issue here is you have all slow growing, low light plants that don't require co2 or lots of ferts normally but you have a high light tank. You really need some fast growing stems and/or plants better suited to higher light conditions. Raising your fixture a bit could help slow down the algea and give your plants the break they need to really get growing.. Otherwise I would add more plants and yeah, one's better suited to the lighting, which would be basically any plant you want that you don't already have.

SunSun Pimp # 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode