Root Tab question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Root Tab question

Hey guys, so i am currently thinking about and researching using all pool filter sand as my 55 gallon planted tanks substrate. Realizing it is inert, i would need some sort of root fertilization. I know next to nothing about proper fertilization and would like some insight as to what would be a good method for me. Are all root tabs the same? How about Osmocote Plus Gelcaps? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 05:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
Osmocote plus gelcaps are pretty good. So are Rootmedic root caps. Seachem root tabs are not bad, I think. They all are applied in a similar fashion. You take them and bury them deep in the substrate. They last anywhere from 3-6 months, so you should plan on replacing them roughly that often. 25 root tabs should just about cover a 55G tank. You can put slightly more than that if you'd like to get more coverage, especially around your heavy root feeders (for example crypts and swords).

-VeeSe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Of you want top of the line i'd go with rootmedic tabs. Fat with nutrients and they last a long time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I am likely going with a white sand substrate, i read certain root tabs turn the sand black. any idea about this?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
The sand will likely discolor and turn darker regardless of the fertilizer you use. White sand tends to blend with detritus and such in the tank and slowly gets dark no matter what you do. It'll still look decent, though.

As far as ferts go, I've never had any discolor my sand.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
The sand will likely discolor and turn darker regardless of the fertilizer you use. White sand tends to blend with detritus and such in the tank and slowly gets dark no matter what you do. It'll still look decent, though.

As far as ferts go, I've never had any discolor my sand.
This has been my experience as well.
But there are a couple of simple maintenance routines you could employ, that would keep your PFS looking pretty darn good all the time - i.e. stirring up the open areas of your sand well on a reasonably frequent basis - I suggest weekly, to bring cleaner sand to the surface each time; and siphoning out 10% to 20% of the sand every 4 to 6 months, and replacing what you have taken out with new sand. Works extremely well for me.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcooo View Post
I am likely going with a white sand substrate, i read certain root tabs turn the sand black. any idea about this?
seachem will make the white sand black. The white sand will get "dirty" still, but that is the only one I know of that will make a spot in sand black.

Pfertz might as well, as they are similar in style to seachem(pressed clay). RootMedic, Osmocote, Tropica, and Ferka will not do this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode