Yet another iron dosing thread - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
Yet another iron dosing thread

Hi all,

I've seen Tom Barr, HolyAngel, and many others advocate dosing lots of iron. I think I even saw Tom say in another thread that he shoots for around 0.5-0.7ppm per dose (though I don't think he mentioned if it was daily or not). Currently in my 55G, I'm dosing ~1/16tsp 3x a week, which puts me at a miniscule amount compared to what is recommended. Even 1/8 tsp is only 0.26ppm in 55G of water (which I know my 55G tank is not even close to, it's probably more like 40-45G of water. So do you guys all dose in excess of this amount daily?

-VeeSe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I dose 3-4x a week, but typically 3x a week.

Crypts really respond favorably to increased traces..........

Most plants do. I have MANY fire shrimp and Amano's in several tanks.........it's a mix of CMS+ DTPA FE, etc........

No algae issues of any sort.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 03:35 AM
Trd t ╦σ R├r.

PTrader: (363/100%)
After reading some posts in other forums(German forums) I recently started to dose some Extra Fe(same amount as EI suggest but break down for daily use+bit extra) in regular basis (6 days a week) I noticed significant difference in growth rate and color...there are lots of factors on what you want to achieve with FE dosing....Redness in color or just to let plant get its regular supplement..there are other factor that impacts the color, growth etc.

Cheers!!!
J
"The future's uncertain, and the end is always near."

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

How about if my tank has lower light? Don't have a PAR meter but it is either low or low/medium I would guess. Would you still recommend increased iron, since perhaps plants don't use as much? Or does the relationship not work like that for iron? And my goal is to hopefully bring out some reds in my plants, as much as my lighting allows anyway.

-VeeSe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 03:38 AM
Trd t ╦σ R├r.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
.it's a mix of CMS+ DTPA FE, etc........

No algae issues of any sort.
Why pple always say that extra FE is the cause of Hair algae, I never understand this....

Cheers!!!
J
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 03:47 AM
Trd t ╦σ R├r.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeSe View Post
How about if my tank has lower light? Don't have a PAR meter but it is either low or low/medium I would guess. Would you still recommend increased iron, since perhaps plants don't use as much? Or does the relationship not work like that for iron? And my goal is to hopefully bring out some reds in my plants, as much as my lighting allows anyway.
Again as always Tom suggests Co2 is the key for most or rather all plants to be fit and fine....so far I have known there are no1 (person or company) that had developed magical(FE)drops that make plant red instantly... there are lots of factor. Sometime Kno3 plays role where as sometime Mg and so on.

I don't have any high light tank as most pple claim that is needed to bring out the Reddish...Max light intensity is less than 2 wpg..but all plant grows like a weed... Check some pixl in some of threads.....to see redness...

Co2 is the key all the time and other follows later....as a supplement....

Cheers!!!
J
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeSe View Post
Hi all,

I've seen Tom Barr, HolyAngel, and many others advocate dosing lots of iron. I think I even saw Tom say in another thread that he shoots for around 0.5-0.7ppm per dose (though I don't think he mentioned if it was daily or not). Currently in my 55G, I'm dosing ~1/16tsp 3x a week, which puts me at a miniscule amount compared to what is recommended. Even 1/8 tsp is only 0.26ppm in 55G of water (which I know my 55G tank is not even close to, it's probably more like 40-45G of water. So do you guys all dose in excess of this amount daily?
Was this the thread?

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
Was this the thread?
No, that's not the specific thread that I was mentioning, but that was also one that I read that got me started down this line of thinking. Obviously I read it, as I posted in it. Given that other people have been able to achieve reds with similar lighting, there has to be some reason why I can't, whether it's not enough CO2, not enough iron, or not enough of some other nutrient.

-VeeSe

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I remember reading that for his trace, Tom used a ratio of 6:2:2 in tsp's. But forgot which ones were which. I know that CSM+B was the 6. Forgot the others.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 02:30 AM
Trd t ╦σ R├r.

Quote:
I remember reading that for his trace, Tom used a ratio of 6:2:2 in tsp's. But forgot which ones were which. I know that CSM+B was the 6. Forgot the others.
Its 3:1:1 csm: DPTA: Fe Gluconate. 2 spoon in a liter of warm water...however my plants didn't like Fe Gluconate mix.

Cheers!!!
J
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
dosing an Fe (DPTA) supplemented CSM+B mix daily without algae drama in high and medium light tanks and have since last year, feel it helped color and growth.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

So Fe Gluconate only lasts for a few hours right? So how do you prevent that?

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joraan View Post
...however my plants didn't like Fe Gluconate mix.
Could you describe their unfavorable response?

" border="0" />
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joraan View Post
Why pple always say that extra FE is the cause of Hair algae, I never understand this....
I have induced hair alage with excess FE, but we're looking at the 4 ppm a day range... I think other problems would come from long term at that level long before hair algae.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
So Fe Gluconate only lasts for a few hours right? So how do you prevent that?
Use a different iron chelated mix. This is part of why RootMedic micro uses FE Gluconate, DTPA iron, and EDTA Iron. So that it works for a variety of tanks with a more than adequate level of iron(more than any of the other commercial products have in them).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode