a lot of potassium in these??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
a lot of potassium in these???

Been reading up on EI for a few days now with credit card all ready to roll but am so confused since finding a dry fertz retailer online for the Uk. There seems to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many to choose from and many appear to similar chemicals in them. Heres where Im looking.

http://www.fluidsensoronline.com/ind...cPath=93_65_69

My main concern is buying a ton of stuff that are duplicates and end up overdosing on something - potassium seems to be in lots of these.
Water is very hard in my area.
306.5calcium carbonate (mg/l)
122.6calcium (mg/l)ng.
I also have quite high nitrates present in my tap water @40ppm
I dont need anything to boost my GH lol or take my nitrates too high either (thanks Hoppy for your reply on these 2 things) but i notice some dry fertz contain a combination of chemicals which is confusing me somewhat.
KN03 has potassium but also nitrates
KH2P04 has potassium and phosphate
K2S04 potassium sulphate
K2S03 potassium carbonate

can anyone recommend a starting list for me please? My main issues so far seem to be weak/transparent leaves and pin holes.
Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I won't worry about the potassium level. It appears that potassium level does not get out of balance until into the 200ppm. You will never get to that level in a aquarium. The potassium in your fert mix isn't in high concentration. Maybe 3 to 4 ppm per dosing. I even need to add potassium separately since I have plants always showing signs of potassium deficiency. I need to add 8 ppm of potassium in addition to my KNO3.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks tetra73. So, are there other brands that contain higher concentrations? Do I need to buy ALL of the above?

Pediatric Psychiatrist/Child Therapist/ADHD Psychiatrist/Cognitive Hypnotherapist/Clinical Anxiety Consultant/Pediatriciac Physician.....If only plants and fish could chatter like children...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by growingthings View Post
thanks tetra73. So, are there other brands that contain higher concentrations? Do I need to buy ALL of the above?

Not that I know of. I think the concentration is pretty much standard. You need Potassium nitrate (KNO3), potassium phosphate (KHPO4), and potassium sulfate (K2SO4). Those are your macros. You need micros and trace elements too. It should provide enough cal and mag without needing to dose them separately. http://www.fluidsensoronline.com/ind...41c0076101fcdc

In your case, since you have 40ppm of nitrate in your tap water, I would actually skip dosing KNO3. Just does K2S04 and KHPO4. Assuming your nitrate reading is accurate. I don't dose phosphate since NYC tap water has about 5ppm of phosphate.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 09:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
My main concern is buying a ton of stuff that are duplicates and end up overdosing on something - potassium seems to be in lots of these.
Water is very hard in my area.
306.5calcium carbonate (mg/l)
122.6calcium (mg/l)
I dont need anything to boost my GH
Since you have hard water(lots of calcium and magnesium in your water) you most likely don't have to add anymore calcium

Quote:
I also have quite high nitrates present in my tap water @40ppm

KN03 has potassium but also nitrates
KH2P04 has potassium and phosphate
K2S04 potassium sulphate
K2S03 potassium carbonate
Since you mentioned you have a lot of nitrate in you tap water already you may only need to add phosphate and Potassium.

KH2P04 has potassium and phosphate is a good way of adding these.
KCL is another way to add just potassium
Fleet Saline Enema is another way to add just phosphates.

Also, it's very hard to overdose potassium, almost impossible

You'll may still have to add micro-nutrients like Flourish Comprehensive or CSM+B.

And of course you can't forget the most important plant nutrient Carbon (CO2)

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
l
l
l
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

many thanks all....appreciate your help very much.

Pediatric Psychiatrist/Child Therapist/ADHD Psychiatrist/Cognitive Hypnotherapist/Clinical Anxiety Consultant/Pediatriciac Physician.....If only plants and fish could chatter like children...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode