Copper Plumbing In House - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Copper Plumbing In House

Should I, or anyone else, be concerned about having copper plumbing affecting our household tap-water for use in topping off or filling up our tanks?

I'm asking because the snails in the tank don't seem to mind the de-chlorinated tap-water but if I ever get red cherry shrimp I would like to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I'd also like to know the answer to this question. I have copper plumbings in the shower that I use to fill up my fish tanks.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you let the water run for a few minutes to clear the water sitting in the lines, it should be fine. If your pH is low out of the tap it is more of a concern, the lower the pH the more it leeches out the copper. I had this issue in the last house I lived in. We had natural ground fed water so it was super low pH and super soft, like 5.5 out of the tap. As long as we left it running for 2-3 minutes it was good to drink, and fine for the fish. And showering in it was nice

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
As said above unless you have quite soft water is should not be a problem. Also if your water supplier doses any corrosion inhibitors such as orthophosphate/polyphoshate then there is really no worry. You can find out from your water supplier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 01:58 AM
Algae Grower

Doesnt everyone have copper water pipes? Sometimes we think too much, if you are that worried by an RO sytem.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Not everybody. And water softness can make a differance! Example, the municipality I work for years ago upgraded a wAter plant to a membrane softening plant (RO). When it went online, here were many many homeowners who had at home water aoftener systems. Within a year, all of their home had to be repiped, because the incredably soft water corrode the copper away.

Rare, but it can happen.

And it is not very rare to have routine lead and copper samples come back with a MCL violation (exceedance).

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattycakesclark View Post
Not everybody. And water softness can make a differance! Example, the municipality I work for years ago upgraded a wAter plant to a membrane softening plant (RO). When it went online, here were many many homeowners who had at home water aoftener systems. Within a year, all of their home had to be repiped, because the incredably soft water corrode the copper away.

Rare, but it can happen.

And it is not very rare to have routine lead and copper samples come back with a MCL violation (exceedance).
Home water softeners do not actually soften the water... They replace calcium with sodium. THey're bad for plants, btw.

Copper pipes are of NO concern to anyone. The only thing that will ever kill your fish is high toxicity copper medications. I promise.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 02:14 AM
Algae Grower

Just an FYI. Copper is an amazing metal because bacteria cannot colonize on it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode