EI dosing and adding 20ml equal to what ppm??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
EI dosing and adding 20ml equal to what ppm???

I know I shouldn't concern too much about the concentration but I want to know if I should dose more NO3 than recommended for a 20-40g tank. I have a 40g tank with maybe 37g of water column.

Currently I am dosing 30ml of NO3 from a 500ml solution added with 2 tablespoons of NO3 (1 tablespoon for a 250ml solution). Every 20ml of NO3 solution is equal to 1/4 dosage. Dosing 20ml of NO3 from a 500ml solution (mixed with 2 tablespoons of NO3) would give me 6 ppm of Nitrate, in a 40g tank. Is that right? At 30ml, my nitrate concentration is around 10 ppm in a 40g body of water?

Today is when I reset of dosing. After the water change and EI dosing, my API nitrate kit is registering under 20 ppm (17 pp maybe). Before the water change, it was less than 10 ppm. I just came home today and my reading about an hour ago was maybe 13ppm, towards the color for the 10ppm. If the tank consumes about 7 ppm per day, I would think that my nitrate would be on the low side just the day before my next dosing.

Now, I have another API kit showing me 10+ppm extra than the other kit. My bet is that the other kit (the one telling me I am at 13ppm with NO3) is more accurate. If that's the case, I would up my NO3 dosage to 40ml.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I just googled this calculator. Very easy to use. I believe I am on the right track with my lower read API kit. I think I would up my dosing to 40ml, equal to 13 ppm of NO3 per dosing.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I might be going crazy or the So-Co and Coke is getting to me already, but I'm not sure of your dosing numbers?

I use http://calc.petalphile.com/ to calculate my doses, but if I understand your post correctly, you're only adding a few ppm of nitrate, not the 6 or 10 mentioned.

Ie: 2 tsp (not tbsp) in 500ml is the solution and 30ml is the dose. This brings the dose to 2.73ppm NO3, .62ppm N and 1.72ppm K (I'm assuming its KNO3 not NO3).

I use a concentration of 2 tbsp (6 tsp) in 250 ml solution at 20ml dose and I get about 11ppm NO3, 2.5ppm N, and 7ppm K in 36g and 14ppm NO3, 3ppm N, and ~9ppm K in 29g

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdude1234 View Post
I might be going crazy or the So-Co and Coke is getting to me already, but I'm not sure of your dosing numbers?

I use http://calc.petalphile.com/ to calculate my doses, but if I understand your post correctly, you're only adding a few ppm of nitrate, not the 6 or 10 mentioned.

Ie: 2 tsp (not tbsp) in 500ml is the solution and 30ml is the dose. This brings the dose to 2.73ppm NO3, .62ppm N and 1.72ppm K (I'm assuming its KNO3 not NO3).

I use a concentration of 2 tbsp (6 tsp) in 250 ml solution at 20ml dose and I get about 11ppm NO3, 2.5ppm N, and 7ppm K in 36g and 14ppm NO3, 3ppm N, and ~9ppm K in 29g

Sorry, is table spoon.... Is 2 tablespoons (measured by the measuring spoons) to a 500ml of water.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Under those conditions I get 11ppm NO3, 2.5ppm N and 7ppm K. With the one you used I got 12.6ppm Nitrate

I like the calculator I posted because it breaks down the ferts I use (Greenleaf). I'm not sure what ferts you're using.

To be honest, I don't test concentrations in tank. I like to use what makes my plants healthiest without showing signs of algae or nutrient deficiencies. As long as I maintain the wc.

Do keep in mind that I am only using 38w with diy co2 on each the 36 and 29 and those are the doses I use. I also add extra potassium and csm-b.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdude1234 View Post

Under those conditions I get 11ppm NO3, 2.5ppm N and 7ppm K. With the one you used I got 12.6ppm Nitrate

I like the calculator I posted because it breaks down the ferts I use (Greenleaf). I'm not sure what ferts you're using.

To be honest, I don't test concentrations in tank. I like to use what makes my plants healthiest without showing signs of algae or nutrient deficiencies. As long as I maintain the wc.

Do keep in mind that I am only using 38w with diy co2 on each the 36 and 29 and those are the doses I use. I also add extra potassium and csm-b.
Is close enough... I tried the one you used but it does not make sense to me as to how I does. I want to know my nitrate concentration based on my NO3 concentration in a 500ml solution. I want to know if I add so and so ml of that solution, how much of nitrate concentration I am increasing. The next time I mix another bottle of solution, I will double that to 4 tablespoons. So, I only need to add 20ml of NO3 to give me 12-13 ppm of nitrate.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
Is close enough... I tried the one you used but it does not make sense to me as to how I does. I want to know my nitrate concentration based on my NO3 concentration in a 500ml solution. I want to know if I add so and so ml of that solution, how much of nitrate concentration I am increasing. The next time I mix another bottle of solution, I will double that to 4 tablespoons. So, I only need to add 20ml of NO3 to give me 12-13 ppm of nitrate.
What is your Nitrate source? Is it potassium nitrate (KNO3?)

With the calculator I posted, make it a diy with your nutrient (in my case its kno3), select your container size (500ml for you) and the amount of it you dose (20ml, 30ml, or 40ml), choose "the result of my dose" and enter the # of tbsp or tsp (3tsp per tbsp) in your concentration. It will break down your dosing

But yes, with 20ml at 4tbsp per 500ml, I get about 11ppm NO3, 2.5ppm N, and 7ppm K. Sounds the same as my 36g

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode