Another Nitrate Reduction Thread - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Another Nitrate Reduction Thread

So I've had the nitrozorb in filter for 2wks and still have to control nitrates via water changes.

What are other proven methods can I use to increase nitrate usage of my aquatic plants?

I have a a 24/7 airstone, dose 1ml/day Excel, Seachem root tabs for over 2months, Tetra 0-0-3 liquid plant food weekly.

Plants in 10gal include:
Java Moss, Spearmint,Peppermint, Peace Lily, Wisteria, Ludwigia repens, And aponogetons. (Mints and peace lily are in HOB)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
What are the nitrate levels in your tanks?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I always see RED (from API kit 40-80ppm).

I also forgot to add Dwarf watter lettuce and duckweed to list of plants

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 05:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Light is what drives plant growth. More light drives the plants to grow faster, thus using more nitrates. Unless your tap water is borderline out of national limits for drinking water I don't see how you could have too much nitrates in the water with growing plants there. But, assuming you do have more than you want it would have to be very high, more than 100 ppm, before it could possibly be a problem. Also, unless you feed adequate amounts of phosphates, potassium, trace elements, including iron, and carbon (Excel or CO2) the plants can't grow as fast as the light drives them to, so good fertilizing leads to them consuming more nitrates too.

Hoppy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
+1 to what hoppy said. plants require balanced nutrients to use them all

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
It's weird for me too. I do 50% weekly water changes, have stopped dosing KNO3 at all during my EI dosing schedule, and I only have 11 Harlequin Rasboras in a 55G tank, and I cannot get my nitrates to go below 40-80ppm.

-VeeSe

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeSe View Post
It's weird for me too. I do 50% weekly water changes, have stopped dosing KNO3 at all during my EI dosing schedule, and I only have 11 Harlequin Rasboras in a 55G tank, and I cannot get my nitrates to go below 40-80ppm.

Even after a 50% water change before dosing??? Did you try another test kit? I assume your source water has little or undetectable nitrate?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
Water source only has 0.5ppm nitrates. And I don't dose KNO3 anymore so dosing should not affect it. And yes, I have tried multiple test kits and calibrated.

-VeeSe

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeSe View Post
Water source only has 0.5ppm nitrates. And I don't dose KNO3 anymore so dosing should not affect it. And yes, I have tried multiple test kits and calibrated.

There has to be a source for the extra nitrate if you don't dose any. I can't see feeding your fish alone will contribute up to 80ppm of nitrate. I can see this is happening if you feed your fish with high protein food and overfeeding AND don't perform water change at all. Try another test kit...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I used to wonder how it was possible that people have too little nitrates as mine is always in the red zone when I use the API drop tests. I always have a tendency to overstock and over feed and I rarely do water changes. When I converted into a high tech tank, that's when my nitrates began to plummet. I was amazed at how fast it happened. I think I went from about 80-100 ppm to 20 ppm in a little less than a month.

The key is high light and really high co2 . Supplement potassium phosphate if you want to really get your nitrates low
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Nitrate test kits can be finicky. Make sure you follow the instructions carefully (especially in regards to mixing). One time I took my API test kit and sloply ran a test of a known standard, and it came noticeably off, and also compared it to a high end colorimeter. This could also be because of the recent''s age

The EPA limit on nitrate in public drinking water is 10 ppm, not to say that it could never exceed this. This does not include private wells.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode