add NO3 and K booster or not? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
add NO3 and K booster or not?

my tapwater contains 40ppm Nitrates and my tank has 30ppm Nitrates registering at the end of the day. Is there any benefit to adding anymore nitrates in with my fertz do u think? Its currently been restocked with plants so nitrate consumption will be higher when things take off.

Water is very hard in my area.
306.5calcium carbonate (mg/l)
122.6calcium (mg/l)
Do I still need to add formula K?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Everytime you change 50% of the water in your tank you are adding 20 ppm of nitrates. If you do that twice a week, with relatively high light, you likely have plenty of nitrates. But, if you only top off the tank as water evaporates, the nitrates will be used up within a week or so, so you will need to dose nitrates.

With water that hard you sure don't want to just top of the tank with tap water, or you will soon be able to walk on the water! The calcium will keep on building up.

None of that data says anything about potassium (K), so I think you can assume that you need to dose potassium, as K2SO4, for example.

Hoppy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

potassium is 1.44 mg/l K I dont know what that means

What do u mean about calcium building up please? Does it build up if not changed out?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
you know. i'd like to know my self how calcium builds up

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by growingthings View Post
potassium is 1.44 mg/l K I dont know what that means

What do u mean about calcium building up please? Does it build up if not changed out?
When water evaporates the Ca that is in that water does not evaporate so you have the same amount of Ca in a smaller, albeit slightly smaller, volume of water. Replacing the evaporated water with more calcium containing tap water then raises the amount of Ca in the tank, once again, only by a very small amount. Doing regular water changes will of course slow the build up of Ca. It seems like it would take a really long time though for the Ca to increase any significant amount, whatever that would be.

If it were me, I'd just top off the tank with tap water, do regular water changes and not sweat it unless I noticed some issue.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
When water evaporates the Ca that is in that water does not evaporate so you have the same amount of Ca in a smaller, albeit slightly smaller, volume of water. Replacing the evaporated water with more calcium containing tap water then raises the amount of Ca in the tank, once again, only by a very small amount. Doing regular water changes will of course slow the build up of Ca. It seems like it would take a really long time though for the Ca to increase any significant amount, whatever that would be.

If it were me, I'd just top off the tank with tap water, do regular water changes and not sweat it unless I noticed some issue.
aaaaaaaaaaaah... i should have known that since i have brackish tanks and similar goes for salt content. Duh! Thanks for clearing that up

Dont suppose the potassium values mean anything to you do they? Im only just getting into the whole fertz thing and in the past have only dosed with gravel tabs and a bit of Trace and some iron.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by growingthings View Post
aaaaaaaaaaaah... i should have known that since i have brackish tanks and similar goes for salt content. Duh! Thanks for clearing that up

Dont suppose the potassium values mean anything to you do they? Im only just getting into the whole fertz thing and in the past have only dosed with gravel tabs and a bit of Trace and some iron.
The K is 1.44 ppm. I believe EI recommendation for K is maintaining K around 10-20 ppm. The recommended dose of ADA Brighty K adds around 3 ppm per day which comes out around 20 ppm per week. So you'd be fine to dose additional K and might even find it necessary.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode