perplexed by water test results... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Question perplexed by water test results...

Woo-hoo! I feel like grown-up! lol I finally broke down and bought an API Mater test kit, lol. I've been using 5-n-1 test strips from Walmart before.
I am confused about my results, though. I tested 3 tanks.
One is my 40b which has been set up maybe 8 or 9 months. No carbon in the filter, only filter floss. All the fish in it have been there from early on - 4 tiger barbs, 3 rosy barbs, 5 neons, 4 black tetras, 3 male guppies (I can't stand them!) and a green cory. (I didn't know they like to be in groups - I promise I will get it some friends).
It is what I would call heavily planted - besides what I want in there, it is the holding tank for all the plants I've been buying for two 29s and two 55s.
It's readings were;
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 50
PH = 7.0

Another tank is my 10g QT tank. No live plants. No carbon in the filter, only filter floss. It had 15 neons - I've been treating it with API Super Ick, because it also had 10 black tetras (now in another tank) that came down with ick. I've never seen ick in on the neons, but they had been exposed - they were housed with the black tetras for two weeks. I didn't see the ick until after the black tetras had been transferred - however when I went back to the lfs, the remaining black tetras there had ick too, so they were infected when I got them.
One of the neons died after the most recent ick dosing (malachite green & nitrofurazone). I assumed it died due to the meds. Today I euthanized another - it was acting near death - near the surface, no interest in food (or swimming, for that matter, not responsive) and the top 1/2 of it's tail fin was missing. No fungus/cottony growth, no tatters, cleanly sheared off. I have stopped the ick treatmants. I have kanaplex if it turns out there is fin rot.
All the other neons seem normal.
The readings for that tank were;
Ammonia = 0.50
Nitrite = 5.0
Nitrate = 5.0
Ph = 7.2
I've since done a 50% water change with Prime/Stability
(I haven't had a chance to retest)

The next tank is the confusing one. It is a 29. No carbon, only filter floss. It has 9 celebes rainbows and 12 black tetras. 1/2 of the tetras show ick. I've treated with Super Ick (two required doses = a full round), I went to do another round but the stores were sold out. So I did a 30% water change and started with Quick Cure - also malachite green but with formalin. I expected high nitrite/nitrate readings (limited water changes per med instructions, and the Super Ick stated it would raise readings). But what I got today was this;
Ammonia = 0 to 0.10, it was hard to tell
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0
Ph = 7.4
My most recent water change for this tank was yesterady (the 30%). Do my readings mean the malachite green killed my bb (which I expected) and the cycle is starting over?
Sorry for the extra long post and so many details, but I thought it might give you a fuller picture of the status of the tanks!
Many thanks for your help!
~ Cindy ~

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
No one? Surely someone can help lol
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
I've never used any of those meds, so it's hard to say. It does seem like there's a problem with your quarentine tank though (ammonia and nitrite can't be good for sick fish that are already stressed).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
for starter.. malachite kills BB IME
nitrite of 5.0 is harmful to fish. that may be why u lost one. the note here is that the tank with plants u have noticed fish have no ick.
plants are one of nature's filters. most fish in tanks with plants dont get sick. or shall i say are less likely to get sick. this is partially due to live plants reduce stress because fish feel its a more natural environment. Carbon will absorb ur medications. remove it. they won't get better with it in there

don't do huge water changes with high nitrite or ammonia. ph changes the toxicity of ammonia. low ph makes it less toxic high ph makes it toxic. Prime detoxifies ammonia. but doesn't help ur cycle in that regard.
i've used stability before and prefer nutrafin cycle. to the point where now when i start a maintenance account . whether its a new tank or not. i start nutrafin cycle. i don' tknow the maintenance records but it works. always. fast. i've never had a client complain either but i do this unproffessionally on the side.

its going to be hard to say that the cycle is starting over this early

EDIT: i see that u have no carbon.. no foul there.

fin rot is best treated with MELAFIX IME.. its a great natural product that really helps the fish immune system.. its not overly powerful and does take time. be patient with it. it does not destroy BB. i add it when i add new fish

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode