Help with CO2 and Discus. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Exclamation Help with CO2 and Discus.

PH day-6.4
PH night 7-7.2. Co2 is on during the day only

The breeder is telling me this ph is too high 7-7.2 at night and too low during the day 6.4 to keep my Discus happy.
Some people recommend a co2 controller to run Co2 based on PH night/day so the PH stays steady at like 6.6.

However, I know some of the greats out there with way more experience then me... caution against Co2 controllers and running co2 at night.

My KH is 4.
Anyone have suggestions out there????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"That fish tank's so big it makes our TV look small."

Last edited by TankZen; 10-25-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Are they adult discus? If so, I wouldn't worry much about it at all.

If they're juvies, you gotta take people's advice with a grain of salt. Hardcore discus folk will mostly tell you how to care for your fish at OPTIMAL conditions so that your fish will grow 8+ inches, mate with an equally beautiful partner, and win you awards in international competitions. OK, maybe a little sarcasm, but you get the point.

Personally, I don't think gradual ph swings like that will hurt, especially with non-wilds. Will you grow out 8" discus? Probably not, but they're still awesome fish even if they only reach 5".

65g planted tank - 200W heat - PC 192W/6700K - Eheim 2217 - Pressurized CO2 - EI Dosing
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I couldn't agree more.... I have heard the hardcore point of view before and I totally agree with what you're saying.... they seem to be adjusting well to the ph change over night. I am going to leave it as it is since my fish seem happy...great color and eating like pigs.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
pH is out the window once you start using CO2 gas enrichment.
KH is a more suitable parameter to obsess over since it will not change regardless of the CO2.

A KH of about 1-2 if good for them, but 4 is fine also.

I run discus tanks at 40-45ppm of CO2.

This is for WILD adult discus. Tank bred will have a higher tolerance.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
pH is out the window once you start using CO2 gas enrichment.
I've read ph is different once co2 is in the picture but don't completely understand it...?

Do you monitor your ph on your Co2 enriched discus tanks? Some discus people swear it has to stay consistent like 6.6 day and night...

It seems this isn't the case but I'm wondering once co2 is in the picture what's the best way to monitor the ph? I don't test KH that often guess I should start testing more. Every time I have it is around 4.

I have a drop checker with 4kdh solution it stays light green and my ph reads 6.4.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Mxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've been wondering about the CO2 and pH thing myself. It seems to me that pH which has changed as a result of adding CO2 isn't 'real pH' as it doesn't affect fish in the same way (or at all) compared to how non-CO2 induced pH differences do. And therefore pH controllers aren't actually controlling your pH in a real relevant manner. I expect this is also what Tom implied by recommending that you monitor kH instead but would appreciate if someone could confirm this view.

One of the regional discus breeders here breeds and raises his discus in straight filtered city tap water which is quite hard and I believe he said it's a pH of 7.5-7.8, so I suppose discus can decently acclimate to fairly wide range of conditions, especially if they were themselves always raised in it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have adult discus in my tank and have had them for years now. I cant remember the last time I checked the PH,(way to lazy plus I use nothing but rain water) my discus eat like pigs all the time and seem very happy. If your discus seem to be doing fine with the PH swing then I would not worry about it.
The best advise that was given to me was keep up with your water changes weekly, feed a variety of food, and to not over complicate things. This advise came from Mike Beals the owner of central ohio discus.
I have found that discus are very easy to keep as long as you get good stock to begin with, not introduce fish from chain stores, and understand that discus dont just have bad days, if something has changed with the way they are acting it time to watch them to figure out whats has changed.(the water quality, being harrased, or a host of other things that can happen) For some reason everyone I have talked to that has added fish from chain store has had huge issues in there tanks after that point.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
For some reason everyone I have talked to that has added fish from chain store has had huge issues in there tanks after that point.
Even after QTing them...? Where do they get their new fish and what were the problems from the LFS fish?

Can you elaborate?

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
I guess since discus tend to be sensitive/susceptible to illness, and LFS fish tend to be poorly cared for, it is easy to introduce illness to your discus. Most people probably don't have a QT tank...then end up spending even more $ on ineffective meds.

65g planted tank - 200W heat - PC 192W/6700K - Eheim 2217 - Pressurized CO2 - EI Dosing
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
One friend of mine purchased some cardinal tertra's from petsmart, after they QT them for four weeks they put them in there display tank, soon after they lost 4 of there 8 discus. They still do not know what caused it. I have personally added some rummy nose tetra's from a supplier in Indiana, after the QT(6 weeks) I put them in my display tank and three of my discus turned black over the next few days, after that they wasted away.
To me it seems that there's a domate desease that some fish carry or something that they are immune to, that discus can not cope with. It may also be a instance where the discus just get stressed from all the new activity.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode