Suggestions? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Suggestions?

I just recently re-scaped my 55 gallon tank completely (pics included). I know most are probably wondering why I made the change in the first place, it looked so much better before? I am just finally tired if the upkeep of trimming and replanting, etc... Switched to a hardscape because it is much easier to maintain, and has a more modern look to it. The previous setup had been established for about 2 years prior to me re-arranging things. It had large natural pebbles as substrate, and a fairly large arrangement of plants. The new arrangement is PFS substrate, rock, manzanita, and a few Anubis. I know I have cut down natural filtration by reducing so much vegetation, and most likely eliminated a lot of my biological bacteria from replacing the substrate. I did however clean my filter media from my canister filter in the original tank water assuming that I would have preserved the bacteria. My thinking was that the filter media would have had enough bio filtration to kick start the whole tank. It has been a week now, and my fish were showing signs of stress this evening when I got home from work. My test strips showed 20ppm+ nitrate and 1.0 nitrite implying that my tank has obviously recycled. Then I got an ammonia reading of about 2.5 (yikes!) I immediately introduced some emergency ammonia reducer, and did a 50% WC... I also introduced some bacteria starter from Proquatics I had lying around. I don't like the idea of my tank recycling with all my livestock in it. My current plan of action would be to just closely monitor my water perimeters and do excessive water changes accordingly until things start to gain balance again. Anyone have any suggestions?

"Those dancing were thought to be crazy by those who could not hear the music."

Last edited by Aquahollics; 12-03-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 06:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
All you can do is stay on top of the water changes until the tank cycles. I never clean both filter and substrate at the same time. I think that you did too much at one time. Just treat your tank like it is cycling and it will work out.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Suggestions

Good morning Aqua...

Very nice tanks. Your post reads like you have things under control. As you know, the media from an established tank will speed cycling. Norman's advice is good. Apparently, the tank conditions aren't settled yet, so you'll need to test the water daily and if you notice a build up of ammonia or nitrite, then a partial water change will be needed to bring the tank back into the "safe zone".

This will like go against a lot of expert advice, but a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt added to every five gallons of your water change water will help calm the fish. It's been used for decades as a "tonic" for freshwater fish. Water passes through a fishes' gills more easily with a trace of aqaurium salt in the water. I've used it for years in my tanks. It was recommended as a help to the fishes immune system. It may help get the fish through your cycling process.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Keep your ammonia levels down with water changes. If you have some of the plants left from your old scape, float them on top to help out as well. They prefer nitrates but they can help use up ammonia as well. Once the tank is cycled, remove plants bit by bit so you don't induce another mini cycle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Thanks =)

"Those dancing were thought to be crazy by those who could not hear the music."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode