Ph meter vs. Vial test - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
Ph meter vs. Vial test

Ok, I tested my water with the Tetra ph test and the reading was 8.3.
I then fired up my Pinpoint meter, calibrated the probe and got a reading of 7.4.

My Kh tested out at 23 so my CO2 is either 27which would be good, or it is 3 which is way to low.
Now what do I do and which test do I believe.
This is a new tank set up. No plants yet, just setten her up and testing the equipment. Used to be into mini reefs and am jumping into the live plant pool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think if you haven't inject any CO2, I would pick the one that give you a lower CO2 concentration. So my guess is your true PH is 8.3.

Khoi,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Ph

Really. Not an answer I would expect. Why would the probe calibrate properly and then read wrong in the tank. I would expect for the five dollar chemical test to be suspect.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you want to test the probe do a 2 point calibration. 7.0 and 10.0

Moved to Tucson.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Actually I did a 4 and a 7 and a 10.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm not sure the reason, I assume that CO2 cannot be so high in tap water, therefore the only logical choice is the higher PH number. I use to have problem where I tested for low PH and high PH, the low one gave me 7.2 and the high PH test kit gave me 8.0. This is the AP test kit, it turns out that I was color blind at the moment . It's really hard comparing the shade of blue PH test kit gives.

Khoi,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

You have your answer then. (unless the test kit is old... does it read ~8.3 for SW....) I agree with khoile that if you are not injecting CO2 you should be 3-5 ppm. By the way, is you KH 23 degrees? 23 ppm?

Moved to Tucson.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Blueram,
You called it. Little did I know that there was a separate pH card for fresh and one for salt in the tetratest kit.
Pay attention boys and girls, READ THE INSTUCTIONS.
But, my my pH is then at 7.4 on both.

So, with my KH at 20 or 357ppm, I still show 24 ppm CO2.
So why is that. GH measured at 16 if that matters.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you calibrated that pinpoint in 3 different solutions it almost HAS TO BE correct. I would certainly believe it over a test kit!

Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

as for the KH the insturctions say is is measured in German Degrees of Hardness dH. So if you put in 20 drops that would be egual to 20 degrees, correct ? or no.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrneuzil
as for the KH the insturctions say is is measured in German Degrees of Hardness dH. So if you put in 20 drops that would be egual to 20 degrees, correct ? or no.
No 20 drops = 200 mg/l CaCO3 or 11.2 dH. (According to my instruction booklet, # drops X 10 X .056 = dH
With your PH @ 7.4 it gives you 13-14ppm CO2.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

I don't get that from these instuctions. Am i missing it?

1. Rinse the test vial with the water to be tested
2. Fill the test vial to the 5ml (cc.) mark with the water to be tested
3. Hold the liquid reagent bottle upside down and add a drop at a time to the test vial.
4. Gently shake the vial after each drop and count the number of drops necessary to cause a color change from Blue to Yellow
5. The number of drops added until the color changes represents the level of hardness (German hardness)
After each test, rinse vial thoroughly with tap water
5. Note: The measuring accuracy increases if the test is performed with 10ml of aquarium water (1 drop testing fluid = 1/20 dH).
If you experience an immediate color change with either kit (for example with the GH kit the sample immediately turns green with no red intermediate color forming or with the KH kit the sample immediately turns yellow with no blue intermediate color forming) then your water sample is likely to be extremely soft with less than one degree of hardness.
After the Test
If the test results reveal excessive hardness (GH or KH), this can be reduced by adding softer water, e.g. rainwater, distilled water, or water treated with a reverse osmosis unit. Water can also be softened by filtering it through peat.
Always condition your clean replacement water with Tetra AquaSafe to neutralize any dissolved chlorine and heavy metals.
GH
WARNING - FLAMMABLE. EYE IRRITANT.
CONTAINS PIPERAZINE, ERIOCHROME BLACK T, MENTANIL YELLOW, AND ETHYL ALCOHOL (ETHANOL).
WARNING
Do not use near heat or flame. Avoid contact with eyes. In case of eye contact, immediately flush with plenty of water. Seek medical attention if irritation persists. Use only in a well-ventilated area. Keep out of reach of children.
KH
WARNING - COMBUSTIBLE.
CONTAINS ETHYL ALCOHOL (ETHANOL).
WARNING
~ Do not use near heat or flame. Use only in a well-ventilated area. Keep out
~ of reach of children.
~ For more information contact:
~ Tetra Sales, USA
~ 3001 Commerce Street
ii Blacksburg, VA 24060
TetraWerke
Dr. rer, nat. Ulrich Baensch GmbH D-49304 Melle, Made in Germany
[email protected]
www.tetra-fish.com
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Stu
Planted Tank Obsessed

With the Tetra KH (and GH) test kit, the number of drops does indeed equal the value of hardness in degrees of german hardness (dGH).

Therefore, according to your result, you have a KH of 23dGH and a subsequent CO2 level of 27ppm as you said earlier.

Either your result is a little off, or your water must be nearly solid!

Eheim Pimp #121

80 litre "Planted" tank
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Well, I guess it is what it is. I have checked the KH several times and always the same. Not sure what to think. I do have a water softner on the system but the water in the tank bypassed the softner.

Oh well.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

When finding why you tap water is so hard step one is find a water quality report for your area (post the zip code if you need help), step two is to measure the KH out of the tap (Some like to let it sit for a day or so first) and step three is to compare the tap reading to the tank...

Moved to Tucson.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode