Tonnia Belem/Java Fern: EI dosing/plant failure related - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tonnia Belem/Java Fern: EI dosing/plant failure related

Hi,

I'm having some trouble keeping my Tonnia Belem healthy. It initially grows out great, gorgeous, but as it grows and gets a bit taller, everything underneath it just rots. It does shoot out new stems from the base though

at one point it actually looked decent, strangely, it was before I started EI

My anubias nana is also yellowing and looking unhealthy with bits of bba around the leaves
The large bunch of java ferns and windelov in the back are browning too

My mermaid weed stopped growing. It doesnt appear to be dead or rotting, but it stopped growing taller, no new leaves, nada. stagnant.

BBA @ it's worst.

started using excel, more CO2, and EI dosing.1month later

It's amazing how much the BBA has reduced by, but I was also expecting my plants to really grow from the CO2, excel, EI etc.

In addition to remedying these issues, I'd also love to know how to get better growth out of my HC and dwarf hair grass.

I've previously dosed only with Flourish Comprehensive and realized it does not contain much of the macro nutrients. I read a lot about EI dosing and decided to give it a shot.

Because I only have a 10g tank, I decided to make up a stock solution so I can more accurately dose ferts.

It came out to something like:
  • 2.92ppm NO3
  • 0.18ppm PO4
  • 3.37ppm K

per 3mL dose. The reason I made the solution weak at first was because I was afraid of shocking my shrimp from a 0 nitrate enviro to a 30ppm enviro. I slowly ramped up my dose to what it is currently 12mL (4x) the initial amount 3x a week and I am using the flourish comprehensive in between days as my trace. 1mL of that.

CO2
Pressurized 1bps via glass diffuser, drop checker turns green after a 4-5 hours after it clicks on.

Lighting
24watt T5ho with reflector about 2 inches off the top of the tank. 9hr photo period. (was battling SERIOUS BBA, fortunately with excel, more co2, I've greatly reduced the bba)

Water parameters
pH 6.2-6.6
kH ~1
gH 4.4

Substrate
Fluval Ebi

Despite my efforts of quadrupling my dosing of ferts, when I check the nitrates with the test kit, it still registers from 0-5ppm. Nutrafin.

Sorry for the long post, but I think it's all related and didnt want to make multiple threads. Thank you! any help will be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 12:55 AM
Algae Grower

your nitrates are on the low side... you need about 5-10ppm same with your potassium... you need to take it up a notch... anubias are phosphate hogs... when i placed alot of anubias in my tanks it helped on control the phosphate level... in my experience... same with java ferns... they suck up alot of nitrates from your tanks... i my shrimp tanks at 10ppm one time... and added a bunch of java ferns and it regulated it down to 5ppm... while still dosing the same amount of KNO3...

with your toninas... its a challenge buddy... you need a slightly acidic substrate for them to flourish...

hope this helps
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks stone.
I'm effectively dosing 12ppm of NO3 and K, three times a week. It's more than the recommended 1/8th teaspoon (10ppm) that is usually recommended. I wouldn't consider my tank "heavily planted" by any means, but can those ferns reeeealy suck up that much?

The substrate (ebi variety) is buffered to be slightly acidic. I found when I was not even injecting CO2, the pH was around 6.6-6.8.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 03:06 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
less photons and more CO2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
less photons and more CO2
To solve all the issues I posted? or is that for one thing in particular?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 05:33 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
All of your issues should be resolved. You can block the lights, or raise it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakz0rz View Post
Thanks stone.
I'm effectively dosing 12ppm of NO3 and K, three times a week. It's more than the recommended 1/8th teaspoon (10ppm) that is usually recommended. I wouldn't consider my tank "heavily planted" by any means, but can those ferns reeeealy suck up that much?

The substrate (ebi variety) is buffered to be slightly acidic. I found when I was not even injecting CO2, the pH was around 6.6-6.8.
oh yeah buddy those ferns suck up that much... for a test... i did dose close to 1 teaspoon on my 20 gal heavy planted... I got a bunch of ferns on my moss wall... and my nitrates were at 10 to 15 ppm... It may sound crazy... but just sharing from my experience... now i dose the regular EI dose in my shrimp tank prior to introducing the ferns with the same plant mass and it spiked it up to 15 close to 20ppm... thats where i realized that ferns suck up a lot of nitrates... you can pretty much tell if your nitrates are getting low, as you see your ferns start to brown... " fern rot or melt" as what they say... but dont quote me on that... from that angle i kinda understood why some people say that having ferns and moss in shrimp tanks are good for shrimps... ferns suck up excess nitrates, which in excess can be harmful for shrimps right?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode