Adding extra Mg - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Craigthor's Avatar
 
PTrader: (188/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hiawatha, IA
Posts: 9,774
Adding extra Mg

What is a good ratio to add. I use pure RO/DI water that I set to 1-2 Kh with sodium bi carb and 3-4 GH with GH booster. Picked up some Epsom Salt MgSO4 today and was curious what ratios others use. This is for a super heavily planted 150g with full EI and CO2 injection.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
PTrader: (65/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,620
Hi Craigthor,

My water here in Seattle comes out of the tap at about 2 dKH and 0.5 dGH. I used to use MgSO4 and CaCl in the same Ca:Mg ratio as Seachem Equilibrium; which is about 3.3:1, Ca:Mg. (BTW about 0.5 tsp CaCl and 0.25 tsp MgSO4 per 10 gallons is about right if you are starting with RO water.)

Unfortunately with our very soft water, I also found my tank running out of other micronutrients even with the CSM+B I was using with my EI dosing. For the last couple of years I have continued to use EI dosing, but I use Seachem Equilibrium to bring my tank to 4.0 dGH and I supplement my CSM+B with Seachem Flourish Complete. I also use Excel (Glut) for the algaecide properties and to supplement my CO2 injection.

Per Tom Barr, I don't worry about dKH if the dGH is good.


Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Seattle_Aquarist is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Craigthor's Avatar
 
PTrader: (188/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hiawatha, IA
Posts: 9,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi Craigthor,

My water here in Seattle comes out of the tap at about 2 dKH and 0.5 dGH. I used to use MgSO4 and CaCl in the same Ca:Mg ratio as Seachem Equilibrium; which is about 3.3:1, Ca:Mg. (BTW about 0.5 tsp CaCl and 0.25 tsp MgSO4 per 10 gallons is about right if you are starting with RO water.)

Unfortunately with our very soft water, I also found my tank running out of other micronutrients even with the CSM+B I was using with my EI dosing. For the last couple of years I have continued to use EI dosing, but I use Seachem Equilibrium to bring my tank to 4.0 dGH and I supplement my CSM+B with Seachem Flourish Complete. I also use Excel (Glut) for the algaecide properties and to supplement my CO2 injection.

Per Tom Barr, I don't worry about dKH is the dGH is good.

Yeah I'm using Barrs GH Booster so didn't know if a bit of extra Mg would be of good use. As for a trace mix I'm using the following mix:

1lb Millers Microplec
1lb CSM+B
.5lb Ferrous Gluconate
.5lb Iron Chleate 13%

Figured I have all my traces rounded off with this mix.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline  
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
PTrader: (65/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,620
Hi Craigthor,

When Tom did his presentation at GSAS in September, 2010 he stated his GH Booster formula that is used by aquariumfertilzer.com is:

GH Booster is basically 1/2 K2SO4; 1/4 Gypsum (CaSO4); and 1/4 Epsom Salts (MGSO4). Please note that his forumla includes Potassium Sulfate.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Seattle_Aquarist is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Craigthor's Avatar
 
PTrader: (188/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hiawatha, IA
Posts: 9,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi Craigthor,

When Tom did his presentation at GSAS in September, 2010 he stated his GH Booster formula that is used by aquariumfertilzer.com is:

GH Booster is basically 1/2 K2SO4; 1/4 Gypsum (CaSO4); and 1/4 Epsom Salts (MGSO4). Please note that his forumla includes Potassium Sulfate.
Looks like I may need to up both the calcium and Mg then. as for the K2SO4 it shouldn't matter much as the water out of my system comes out at 0 tds. so a bit of extra potassium is good.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome