Simple all in one fertilizer - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
mr2
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Simple all in one fertilizer

Is there a simple all in one fertilizer that can be used in planted tanks? I mean like miracle grow for aquatic plants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
mr2
Planted Member

Anyone?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 02:52 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
It really depends on the tank itself, the plants you've got, the substrate you're using, CO2 usage, lighting, etc.

There are all-in-one liquid products out there and various root tabs and gelcaps. RootMedic has an all-in-one for medium-low-tech setups hitting the market soon. Several other manufacturers have them, as well. Check the sponsor sections of the forum and you'll see a few that pop out at you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Are there some all in one liquid products available (besides the one coming from rootmedic?)? I haven't seen any, but it would probably be good for my low-tech Ebi.

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." — Socrates

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 08:05 AM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-H View Post
Are there some all in one liquid products available (besides the one coming from rootmedic?)? I haven't seen any, but it would probably be good for my low-tech Ebi.
Aqueon Plant Food

|

|
|

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

A Simple Fertilizer

Good morning mr2...

I believe there is. I use organic hydroponics liquid ferts in my planted tanks. They're a good quality, inexpensive and easy to dose fertilizer. I like to rotate two or three different liquids to give my plants a variety of nutrients. Just like fish, plants need a variety of foods to thrive, so I change the fert every couple of months.

I have large, low light, low tech planted tanks and my plants grow very well. Attached are pics of a couple of my planted tanks I took some weeks ago. Judge for yourself if the ferts work. I also change half the water in my tanks weekly. Clean water and good ferts are almost as important as the proper lighting.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."

Last edited by BBradbury; 08-22-2012 at 10:06 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
mr2
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
It really depends on the tank itself, the plants you've got, the substrate you're using, CO2 usage, lighting, etc.

There are all-in-one liquid products out there and various root tabs and gelcaps. RootMedic has an all-in-one for medium-low-tech setups hitting the market soon. Several other manufacturers have them, as well. Check the sponsor sections of the forum and you'll see a few that pop out at you.
Link?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
mr2
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Good morning mr2...

I believe there is. I use organic hydroponics liquid ferts in my planted tanks. They're a good quality, inexpensive and easy to dose fertilizer. I like to rotate two or three different liquids to give my plants a variety of nutrients. Just like fish, plants need a variety of foods to thrive, so I change the fert every couple of months.

I have large, low light, low tech planted tanks and my plants grow very well. Attached are pics of a couple of my planted tanks I took some weeks ago. Judge for yourself if the ferts work. I also change half the water in my tanks weekly. Clean water and good ferts are almost as important as the proper lighting.

B
Ok... You took the time to post your tanks but not to answer my question.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
mr2
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
Aqueon Plant Food
This is what I was looking for, anyone use it?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Aqueon Plant Food isn't complete. It doesn't have any nitrogen or phosphorus.

http://www.pfertz.com/products.html sells low, medium and high tech systems.

Rootmedic has a variety of tabs that contain all plants need and liquid fertz as well.
http://rootmedic.net/products-page Justin has just set up an RAOK for the product too!
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sw...ertilizer.html

If you have a need for all the macros then you are stuck with 2 bottles unless the maker has figured out a way to keep phosphorus from binding with iron. That is the sticky point with all in one solutions.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 12:38 AM
Algae Grower

Ah Kathyy I didn't know that thanks for posting! You learn something every day! Does anyone have any experience with "tropica"? They push it at Big Als here in Barrie...It's German I think.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
Aqueon Plant Food
Not exactly complete. Lacking in nitrogen and phosphate, for starters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
If you have a need for all the macros then you are stuck with 2 bottles unless the maker has figured out a way to keep phosphorus from binding with iron. That is the sticky point with all in one solutions.
Thanks for mentioning my ROAK. You might quick glance at the nutrient analysis to note that the oneSTEP does include micros AND macros. It can be done, with the right balance and the right preservatives/chelators. I can't do it at the saturation level that my 2 bottle system is on, but it is a good mix for small, low/medium tech tanks.

To the OP, you should look at my two different liquid systems. First, and original is the RootMedic Liquid Dosing System. It uses two bottles, but is as concentrated as is physically possible. 1 pump per 5 gallons.
http://rootmedic.net/products-page/l...s/complete-500

Also, the "all-in-one" solution. oneSTEP. It is all in one bottle, at 1 pump per gallon. Perfect for smaller tanks up to 10-15 gallons.
http://rootmedic.net/products-page/l...rients/onestep

None of the other products available in the USA will be "comprehensive" all-in-one solutions. There is one other product, TPN+ and it isn't sold inside the US at this time.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
mr2
Planted Member

ended up getting "florin multi" which is again, everything but phosphorus and nitrogen, I'm hoping 3 heavily fed endlers livebearers in a fluval spec 2 gallon tank will produce enough N and P to balance things but we shall see.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Planted Member

I use Aqueon Plant Food in my 20g and my plants seem to be fine. Like other posters have said, it is lacking in some nutrients but I've been using it for over a year and my Jungle Val, Java Fern, Amazon Sword, java moss, and a few other species of plants are still alive and doing well. I primarly have shrimp with two otto's, and two Nerites in my tank

If there's a solution to your problem then you have nothing to worry about. If there isn't, then you have nothing to worry about either.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
there are all in one solution for low tech tanks, the reason you will not find one for high tech tank is that, because they cannot add too much iron in the solution, there is a limit how much Fe can be added with phosphate in same solution before it start to cause problem, this is just my opinion. i have tried couple of all in one solution and some of them work fine.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode