Counteracting shell grit in substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Counteracting shell grit in substrate

I put two tablespoons of shell grit into a 20 gallon back when it had sailfin mollies in it. It's evenly distributed throughout the substrate.

Recently, we pulled down the tank and replaced the mollies with a breeding pair of rams and a few minnows. We didn't change the substrate though.

Tap water here has very low kH, 1-2deg and usually sits about 6.5 after a week or two, which is about right for this tank. I've also got a lot of driftwood in there to acidify it a bit.

But, the tank keeps bumping up to about 7.6. Is there any way to counteract this without just replacing the substrate?

It's my girlfriend's tank. She doesn't want to change the gravel (understandably) while I think it can't be avoided.

Kindly adjudicate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
I dont think so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Readings will rebound I think if you try chemicals to shift it.
7.6pH isn't too much more than a neutral reading, I would guess around 3-4dKH and until the mineral supply is exhausted it will continue to rebound. Perfect example of why I recommend not doing the shell or shaved cuttle bone addition setting up dirt tanks. Received some flack over my position from several folks on the forum but once it's added control is lost.

won't last forever though

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode