Deficiencies- what are the different signs. Pictures - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Question Deficiencies- what are the different signs. Pictures

I'd like to ask what are the different signs in deficiencies?

fe?
Ca?
Mg?
Others?

Currently my tank full of L. Repens are turning a bit light yellow on the new growth- Im dosing CSM+B with extra Iron everyday. The have gotten a little better but no real sign of improvment.
Does CSM+B provide enough micros?
Root tabs help?
i dose 10ml every day.

Here are the Specs

Nitrates 10ppm
Phosphate 1-2pmm
Potassium 20ppm
pH 6.8
kh 4-5d
co2 ~25-30ppm
gh less than 1
3.9wpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Marc; 03-03-2005 at 06:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I'm sure someone will be along with a better answer, but for now try this link for a list of deficiencies: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 05:56 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Weird -- I'm having the same problem (with l. repens) and I have just about the same parameters as you.

Though...kH is 4-5 and gH is less than 1? I think your gH kit is broken...or your kH kit is broken.

Regardless, the deficiency seems to come and go in my tank without changing my dosing schedule or detecting any change in water parameters. A few weeks ago, my l. repens was growing in very pale and yellow. Now it's growing in green and all I did was up my micro dosing a little (Flourish Trace).

Anyway...I'll keep you updated if you keep me updated. Maybe between the two of us we can figure this out.

^iMp^

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I'm in the same boat guys... I figured that mine was shaded too much so moved it to one side of the tank so there was no obstriction. I was attributing the color change with my high NO3. Lately it's been around 20ppm. From what I understand in order for the new growth to continue with the red coloration the NO3 will have to be lower then 10 ppm.

The nice thing is mine has shot up 2" from my sunday WC with better spacing on the leaf nodes with the increased light. However as your seeing the new growth is more yellow than red. I'm going to continue to try and reduce the NO3 to below 5ppm and see how it goes. This unfortunatly will be impossible without RO water and I'm trying to maintain the tank lately with only tap. My tap has 10 ppm NO3 already. Looks like I'll only be adding K and PO4 for the next few WC and throughout the week.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^iMp^
Weird -- I'm having the same problem (with l. repens) and I have just about the same parameters as you.

Though...kH is 4-5 and gH is less than 1? I think your gH kit is broken...or your kH kit is broken.

Regardless, the deficiency seems to come and go in my tank without changing my dosing schedule or detecting any change in water parameters. A few weeks ago, my l. repens was growing in very pale and yellow. Now it's growing in green and all I did was up my micro dosing a little (Flourish Trace).

Anyway...I'll keep you updated if you keep me updated. Maybe between the two of us we can figure this out.

^iMp^
Let me retest my Gh- but do you really think gH could cause this? I do not test any of the water parameters ever since i started the EI dosing. Ive uped my CSM+B dosing from everyother day to every day. 10-15mls

Also what trace elements are in CSM+B exactly? I know Boron is in there

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 07:56 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Unless I am mistaken, a "normal" kH and very low GH happens when you use water that runs through a water softener. Some of these work by exchanging the Ca and Mg ions with Sodium ions, which is good for your showering, but not so good for regular aquatic plants. Just a thought...

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Let me retest my Gh- but do you really think gH could cause this?
That's possible. Ca and Mg that make up Gh are essential nutrients for plants. They don't get as much attention as NPK because most people have enough GH in their tap water. GH<1 is another story.

If you are running through a water softener, disconnect the softener for tank water.

Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I retested my Gh and i got 4. I tried it a few times and same result.

My Kh was also for and ph was higher that usuall around 7. Which means my co2 level is about 12ppm...hmmm This was during mid day full pearling in plants. Maybe extra O2 in water?

anyways here are a few pictures to give you an idea of the colors im getting-
Little blury, sorry

Can you count how many snails in the picture?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

imp how are your plants doing now?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 02:30 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
imp how are your plants doing now?
My l. repens look healthy, but they are growing in green, not red (which is normal for my tank). The deficiencies in your picture look about the same as mine...but not quite. The leaves on mine were normal looking except for the pale coloration (not damage, no holes, or perceived weakness).

All I did was up my trace dosing a little and K dosing a very little. The rest of my plants are still showing some signs of deficiency, though. I'm ordering CSM+B and looking for some Jobes sticks -- hopefully the problem is in my trace dosing and substrate fertilization.

We'll see. Any improvement on your end?

^iMp^
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ive been dosing everyday and i do see a little difference...The reds on mine only show with the ones that are directly under the light. Im not using any root tabs- i wonder if i should start?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode