Is fert necessary for 5 gal hairgrass tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Is fert necessary for 5 gal hairgrass tank?

Hey folks,

I'm trying to make my Japanese hairgrass take off in a 5 gal Fuval Chi. It's been a month and so far I've just had runners. I ordered a Fluval CO2 injection system off of Amazon that's coming in 2 days. I experimented with flourish and other fert and all it got me was a crapton of green algae cloud which was a pain to cure.

So right now I have a powerful Marineland LED lighting upgrade, I swapped out the filter to something better and added a lid. i am trying to also limit the amount of sunlight exposure. Anyone know a good CO2 dosage? Should I try a go at this without fert?

Thanks ahead of time for the advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Fert will always be necessary... fish poop can only provide nitrates and po4

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
Fert will always be necessary... fish poop can only provide nitrates and po4
Ferts are not always necessary, one needs to look no further than the low tech forum on this site to see that is true.

Your lighting is what really drives the need for ferts. The more light you have the more important ferts become.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMott View Post
Ferts are not always necessary, one needs to look no further than the low tech forum on this site to see that is true.

Your lighting is what really drives the need for ferts. The more light you have the more important ferts become.
Thank you for this input. As a follow up to what you have said, may I ask you two questions:

1. is my lighting giving off the correct wavelengths and/or power for significant photosynthesis to occur? It is LED and very bright.

2. What fertilizer would you go with? Something like Flourish or Aqueon or what? I have also found that the liquid CO2 stuff is kind of a joke so that is why I ordered a CO2 injection system.

Thank you once again.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 03:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Read the sticky on fertilizing schemes, just the first page is enough, and you will learn a lot about good fertilizing.

Hoppy
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
jrmott, that is like saying u can live healthily without a variety of food and vitamins.. sure u can survive. but how healthy are you if you don't have necessary proteins and minerals?

all plants have a need for these things however minute they may be. fish poop and tap water can provide many of these but in most cases, not all

that's where trace mixes come in for most people as tap water sometimes contains potassium therefore the majors are covered. also tap usually contains magnesium, clacium, sulphor, and iron so you are really only missing a few minors

Sump Pimp #7

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
you will not see very healthy growth without NPK and Traces, no matter how low or high light the tank is, unless you are trying to keep mosses.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
you will not see very healthy growth without NPK and Traces, no matter how low or high light the tank is, unless you are trying to keep mosses.
Thank you. This seems like useful advice.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
Hmmm, I'm thinking Diane Walstad would disagree with this statement. I'm remaining neutral as of now until my NPT is a year old.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Walstad tanks are always low light tanks, with slow growing plants, so it is possible for all of the nutrients to come from the substrate and fish poop/leftover fish food. That is one way to do a planted tank. Once you go to higher light, you need to actively supply the nutrients, either with a fertile substrate or with water dosing, or, preferably, both.

Hoppy
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonloco View Post
Hmmm, I'm thinking Diane Walstad would disagree with this statement. I'm remaining neutral as of now until my NPT is a year old.
i never said that you cannot grow plant, Diane Walstad will off course disagree with me. i said you will not see a good and lush growth without adding those ferts.

i had a tank with no co2 and ferts, the only thing it had was root tabs and peat moss as substrate and Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Pantanal' was still growing but very slowly and this is a very stubborn plant.

the same plant grow 10 times faster under co2 and ferts along with high light.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode