Dry ferts - - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Dry ferts -

Ok - I'll admit I have lurked for a while now, but I'm still confused. I need to add some ferts to my tank. I set the tank up in June and added florish root tabs then. It is a 150 gallon (in need of trimming!) and has hair algae. Used to have BBA (outbreak at 1 month old) but I beat that, just can't get a handle on the hair algae. I have 2.1 watts per gallon of light - 4 80w t5 bulbs. Have dry ferts from aquarium fertilizer but no clue where to start (plantex csm+b; kno3; k2so4; mono phosphate)

No CO2 hooked up yet - have everything but a filled tank.

It has a mix of discus (not quality ones (first ones!), neons, black neons, 4 albino bn pleco's, one emarld Cory, a ghost shrimp, three assassin snails and now a manageable amount of ramshorn and pond snails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok here is some pics - sorry they are crappy cell phone pics! Just wanted to put the general idea out there. Substrate is sand/gravel mix.
Attached Images

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Until you get the CO2 hooked up turn off 2 bulbs, you might even only run 1 bulb. The equivalent of 4 bulbs T5HO is what I run in my 180 gallon tank and when CO2 runs out the lights are better off than on until CO2 is back on the tank. When I seriously mess up the substrate or do a heavy pruning I cut the light back for a few days as well.

Just double the amount listed here from this thread https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fe...-regimes_.html
40~60gal--------------------------100 gallons would need
50% H20 change-weekly
1/2 Tsp-KN03 3x a week-----------------1 tsp x 3
1/8 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week--------------1/4 tsp x 3
3/4 Tsp-GH booster once a week-------1.5 tsp x 3
10ml or 1/8Tsp-Trace 3x a week--------1/4 tsp x3
Optional
2-4ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week-----------------~1/16 tsp x 3

Just sit down and fill up a pill minder once a week when you do water changes and dump one section in the tank when you feed the fish. I dump into the sump but you can just dump on the other side of the tank or into a cup of tank water you swirl in the tank so all the bit get into the tank. If you miss a day just dump the next full section in tank, don't double up but it really doesn't matter. All you are doing is making sure the plants have plenty of NPK+micros at all times and a little more or less is just fine.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the help! I did cut back the time on the lights and that got rid of the BBA, was going to do more but was scared to... Searching for affordable tank for CO2 here. Welder place wants 180 for a 20 lb tank.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 03:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (158/99%)
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft.../co2/C20.shtml
$180 us too much i would call around see if you can find cheaper. many places will also let you put a deposit and just swap out the tanks.

might also look CL as well might find a use on cheap.

In SoCali? Looking for fish plants equipment? want to learn something about the hobby?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I agree - that's why I don't have one yet. Hope to find something affordable soon - have an old nitrous oxide tank (boss gave my husband it nearly 10 years ago) was going to take in and see if they would give me something for it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Check Craig's List, there is one in your area for sale right now.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok thanks - found a 10 lb for 75 new.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Emailed the one close on craigslist!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Great, sure sounds a lot better then $180 for a 20 pounder and you still need to buy the rest of the setup.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have everything else but the CO2 tank and of course the co2 in the tank. Picked it up piece by piece and only need the tank now to hookup. But depending on size of the tank in that ad (seller doesn't say) may just get it. And have everything for the next tank too! Have a 58 gallon I'm thinking hard about setting up. It's in our bedroom and I would like a nice relaxing heavy planted tank in there! but will have to upgrade the lights that I'm currently using also and funds are tight so I debate!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode