plant bubbling

40g . 175w MH . pressurized co2
after W/C:
Ph 6.8
Kh 10
PO4 2-3
NO3 20-30

Tank is only a couple weeks old

According to the chart that puts co2 at dangerous levels. I reduced the bubble rate from 3 to 4 per second to 2 per second.

I did the first 50% w/c on friday then added:
(I think this amount, I have it written down but not with me)
1/2 tsp KN03 Potassium Nitrate
1/8 tsp KH2P04 Mono Potassium Phosphate
1/8 tsp K2S04 Potassium Sulfate

I got fantastic bubbling off the plants. The next day I dosed 5ml Plantex CSM+B and continued this schedule through the weekend and never got the plants to bubble again.

I can see my KH is a problem and I attributed this to the percentage of tap mixed with RO for the water change. I plan on using 100% RO next w/c to see if I can bring it down.

questions: Should the plants bubble every day?

whats the normal set bubbles per second in the bubble counter of the regulator?

ernest

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by e.lark; 03-01-2005 at 04:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Pearling will occur once the oxygen levels reach saturation. Right now your tank is pretty sparsely planted, the more plants the better the chance of reaching saturation.

Some plant species will do it more than others anyways.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:26 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
If you got bubbling right after the water change, it was outgassing of the
"stuff" (a technical term ) that was in your tap water. You should see this after most every water change. It usually is gone by the next morning.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 04:33 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urkevitz
Pearling will occur once the oxygen levels reach saturation. Right now your tank is pretty sparsely planted, the more plants the better the chance of reaching saturation.

Some plant species will do it more than others anyways.
Yes, bubbling no doubt from outgassing of water after water change. Pearling occurs once oxygen levels in plant tissues reach saturation regardless of whether you have a plethora of plants or not. If you're not getting pearling, then you're lacking some component of your fertilization regimen. You don't mention any dGH. Are you adding any calcium or magnesium to your RO makeup? All your other parameters look great. The CO2 chart is just a guide, some of us have increased our CO2 levels to the "dangerous to fish" side with no ill-effects to fishes. I've increased mine to a "caculated" concentration of 47 ppm with no visible effects on fishes or shrimp and my plants start pearling 1-2 hours after lights on (I'm using HQI MH on my 90 gallon (tall) and don't need no stinkin' Riccia as an indicator.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Gill what you are saying makes sense, I always thought oxygen levels in the H2O played a role.

Some also say that pearling is not an indicator of good conditions. However in my tank, if there wasn't some pearling within a couple hours of lights on I would be concerned.

I use DIY CO2 on my tank and if the plants aren't pearling I know that either I have a leak or my mix has run its course.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Some also say that pearling is not an indicator of good conditions. However in my tank, if there wasn't some pearling within a couple hours of lights on I would be concerned.
That's what I've heard. I think it's because there's more to the photosynthetic process than just harvesting the light energy (light reaction), and includes converting it to chemical energy (ATP = adenosine triphosphate), to power the production of glucose (dark reaction or calvin cycle) and other reactions within the plant. Pearling just requires light, CO2, water and good chlorophyll. by adding all our ferts, we help ensure plants get what they need to do the rest and continue to make more chlorophyll which is where the initial light reactions occur. A lot also depends on the condition of plants when we get them.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks all for the replies

Quote:
You don't mention any dGH. Are you adding any calcium or magnesium to your RO makeup?
I have not been adding Ca or Mg to RO makeup water. I really didnt think I needed to. Damn, I sold those test kits with my SW stuff What should Ca and Mg test at in the main tank? I also didnt think RO reduced General hardness and living in the midwest the water is very hard.

ernest

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 07:27 PM

RO takes everything out of water. Its close to distilled water.

For all practical purposes, assume there is nothing in RO water but H2O.

I mix my RO water with tap.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 08:42 PM

Raise your GH with GH+, made from calcium and magnesium salts or DIY with dolomite (lime) which is calcium carbonate and doesn't desolve fast in water, and add epsom salt which contains magnesium. You could order CaCl and MgSO4 from www.gregwatson.com. I've heard a good ratio is 4:1 calcium to magnesium, but not sure why. As long as you have both you should be ok.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 09:53 PM
BSS

It looks like he's already adding tap to his RO, that's why the KH=10. Since your KH=10, I'd guess that your GH is somewhere in that vicinity. Just go get a cheap GH test kit, and don't bother with separate Ca and Mg kits. My Florida tap water is kh=7 and gh=10-11. So, don't be took afraid of a KH=10. Most plants will do just fine in water like that.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
It looks like he's already adding tap to his RO, that's why the KH=10
correct, I do mix RO with tap water for the 50% weekly w/c as I stated in the first post. I have a GH/KH kit but only used the KH part once...It tested 1.5 lower than my salifert KH kit in dKH so I didnt trust it. I havent used the GH part as I figured with my tap water it was hard enough.

still confused. So yes there would be Ca and Mg introduced from tap water.
Im still not clear on the missing parameter that would enable pearling.

I think enough co2 is being added since it noticeably lowers my Ph.

I just started ferts after that mentioned w/c.... do you think the tank is still just new?

ernest

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 01:12 AM
BSS

There are some long time members of the board that would claim that pearling is overrated, and several state they don't have any. I can rely on a couple of my plants to have bubbles on them when I come home from work in the evenings. But, my tank certainly isn't bubble-covered. I'd say just give it time to stablize with the new regimen and see if you start seeing some, say, in a week or so.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode