Keeping a low and stable pH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
Keeping a low and stable pH

Tap water here ranges from 8.0 to 9.0 pH, about 2 GH and 3 KH. How can I lower the pH to 6.0-7.0 and keep it stable, especially when I start using paintball CO2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Measure the tap water after it sets out for a day or two, with that kh the actual ph should be around 7.2-7.4, then co2 will bring it down further. Regardless of your initial ph it is soft water as evident by the low gh, learn to ignore ph, fish notice gh or tds. To keep it stable leave it alone and do not add ph adjusters. Ph can be temporarily altered especially straight out of the tap and does not truly represent actual hardness. I have not tested ph in years because it is misleading.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Would I need to raise GH then? And how do I measure TDS?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

GH is on the low side, 3 to 6 is the recommendation for plants, I would watch for calcium deficiancy at the tips of stem plants (curling, distortion), if that happens add about 1/8 to 1/4 tspn gh booster or Seachem Equilibrum to each 5gl of change water. Don't adjust in the tank or all at once or you could shock the fish if it's too much too fast. If no fish or shrimp then no worries. Measure tds with a digital tds meter, its kind of overkill though unless you're a breeder or something, it's fun for learning about water though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the info.

I had DIY CO2 for a while and it dropped my pH down to ~6.0, but I read that pH swings due to CO2 are not too significant. Is this true?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

True, not at all. The only way co2 can kill is by gassing the fish to death. Just one representation of how ph can be altered in a way that doesn't affect fish and why a lot of us ignore it now.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
What is your pH after water sits in a cup for 24 hours? No way is even over 8 with that low of gh and kh. I wouldn't screw with it at all.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The old myth of ph shock is actually osmotic shock. If you drastically alter gh then osmotic shock can occur, meaning the fish cannot osmoregulate the minerals in their body fast enough to match the water. This usually happens when different source water is introduced in large volumes, when this happens there is no helping that kh and ph also change so people assumed it was the ph change doing the killing but it's gh or tds (gh is part of tds aka total dissolved solids which include minerals that fish must osmoregulate)

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I used to have tap water coming out at ph8 kh3 which dissipated to ph7+ after a day, I was told the water treatment plant added soda ash or something for pipe corrosion. I never bothered with aging the water, I just put it straight in the tank with dechlor, never had a problem, hardness and alkalinity never changed either.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode