drop checker indicator solution? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
drop checker indicator solution?

Anyone have any recommendations for when to change the indicator solution? Using DIY on a 13g if that makes any difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Assuming that you are using 4dkh water and some sort of ph reagent, You could change it as often as you want. I change mine from every week to even once a month. Some folks change it every week after a water change.

I really only do it when I remember for reassurance.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
this may sound like an obvious answer, but i used to just change it when it stoped working. i 1 point i went as long as 6 months before it died, other times it took less than a month.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Dempsey and jreich! I'm still a newb with this stuff and all the fine details....

To add to my question, when it "expires" , does it cause a fairly quick change in in color?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmon View Post
Thanks Dempsey and jreich! I'm still a newb with this stuff and all the fine details....

To add to my question, when it "expires" , does it cause a fairly quick change in in color?
when it stops working it gets stuck blue or green/yellow or turns clear.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you really hone your plant observation skills by looking carefully at the plants each day or more often, you will soon decide that you don't need the drop checker "crutch" any more, and you will remove it and rely on what the plants tell you. At worst, you will have determined the approximate CO2 bubble rate that you need to use, and just set that when you need to. I don't see any reason to need a drop checker longer than a few months, except when you change tank sizes, change light intensity and fertilizing routine, etc.

Hoppy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks jreich....exactly what i was trying to figure out.

thanks Hoppy! that's great advice I will surely take. I can semi-relate to this in regards to relying on what the plants need in comparison w/ terrestrial plants (have a green thumb with those but finally beginning to get it with aquatic plants) I feel I could use my "crutch" a little longer since it turns out after posting my question, that the DC indeed detected a drop as my diffuser completely stopped days after, although it was still producing bubbles when I posted, just not enough to keep the solution green.

thanks for everyones help.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode