Splitting DIY Yeast CO2 Between 2 Tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
Splitting DIY Yeast CO2 Between 2 Tanks?

Feel like such a newb asking this (yes, I've scoured the forum and searched and searched and googled galore)…

Anyone ever tried to split their DIY yeast CO2 rigs between two tanks?

I've found that running champagne yeast in a standard 2litre bottle - even after a whopping four weeks - is still producing so much CO2 in a 2.5gal tank that my drop checker stays a constant yellow. Am using a nano diffuser from eBay, if you're wondering. Dangerously high levels.

I'm clearly gonna have to turn this down a notch if I want fish and shrimp to survive when they move into their tanks (I've got three 2.5gal tanks currently in DSM, will be filled and cycled in about 6 weeks). So… will I be able to split the CO2 between two tanks? Anyone had success? Will be trying quite soon but wanted to check with the forum for any previous experience.

Not sure I want to drop the cash on a paintball+solenoid+splitter setup for such tiny tanks… but may have to if I can't dial this back.

And, yes, I'm floored that I'm getting such great CO2 mileage because I'm used to having too little.

Thanks,

Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
i would just suggest making a HUGE diy co2 yeast thingy and having 2 outputs. i think that would work just fine as long as the outputs are ok.
gl

Happy plantkeeping!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

check it out!!!! -->

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

I'm thinking that if this 2litre is producing this much CO2 after a month with champagne yeast - and there's enough pressure to push through two diffusers - it'll maybe work on two tanks. Here's hoping.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

im pretty sure that it will work, so good luck
and why is it so hard to make 2?
if you are m making one, you can just make the other one at the same time, just a suggestion...

Happy plantkeeping!

check it out!!!! -->

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

I can easily make two (actually, have several DIY kits ready to go, just in case). But my point is that one is producing too much CO2 for a single tank to handle and I need to temper that.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
They are small tanks so you should be okay.

The problem I see is getting the pressure to build in the second diffuser after the first one is already pumping. You may have to pinch the first one off to allow the co2 to build pressure and get though the second one.

Does that make sense?

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
They are small tanks so you should be okay.

The problem I see is getting the pressure to build in the second diffuser after the first one is already pumping. You may have to pinch the first one off to allow the co2 to build pressure and get though the second one.

Does that make sense?
Or if the tanks are difrent depths they will not work evenly, or only 1 will work.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I don't think this would work. At least it would be very difficult to adjust. The CO2 will always choose the least restrictive path, so you would have to EXACTLY have the same resistance between both diffusers (impossible).

This isn't a problem with press CO2 since that you can just shut off and dial in each outlet separately with needle valves. Not so with DIY yeast CO2.

I would go with multiple setups too. And reducing the output is as easy as choosing a smaller bottle (try 1l) and scaling back the recipe accordingly.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
Or if the tanks are difrent depths they will not work evenly, or only 1 will work.
agreed

Happy plantkeeping!

check it out!!!! -->

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

The tanks are the exact same depth, same size, right beside each other, tubing will be the same length and equidistant.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
The tanks are the exact same depth, same size, right beside each other, tubing will be the same length and equidistant.
well atleast it wont cost much if it dont work, but i agree with just scailing the reciepe down and using 2 bottles.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Who knew champagne yeast was so crazy? I've had luck with it on larger tanks in the past but I guess I didn't realize just how much CO2 it can produce.

Recipe at current is just under 2 cups sugar with 1/2 tsp champagne yeast and it's been rolling along for four weeks. Guess we'll give this a shot with half that amount of yeast and see how it does.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

P.S. If anybody ever had any doubts about which yeast to use? Champagne all the way. Never again will I use store-branded bakers yeast.

Its ability to withstand alcohol and continually push out CO2 far surpasses any other wine yeast I've used in the past, too.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
well atleast it wont cost much if it dont work, but i agree with just scailing the reciepe down and using 2 bottles.
Agreed.

Also, seeing what Wasserpest said, I guess it would be tough to keep them both going in sync(if you actually could). Worth a try and if it doesn't work, just make another.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

So far it seems to be working.

But you're all right about levels and such - it'd be a total crap shoot if the tanks weren't nearly identical, same heights, depths, etc.

I've got a few backups ready to go in case this isn't a sustainable setup and will be sure to share my experiences here on the forum.

Thanks to all!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode