Looking for a 7 day timer to dose fertilizers - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Looking for a 7 day timer to dose fertilizers

I need two of them to dose micros and macros and want tO dose one every other day . Im not sure how long yet its for a 45 Gal. Tank.. Looking for pumps as well ..Any help is much appreciated .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have been looking into this as well. The dosing pumps by Aqua Medic are the best looking solution I have found so far, but they are quite expensive. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.aqua-medic.com/dosing_pump.shtml

If you find other viable options, please post them. Good luck!

I even have duckweed in my water bong!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Go buy some cheap perstaltic pumps online. I don't have a link handy, but if memory serves me right theyre around $30. A cheap mechanical light timer will allow you to automate your doses. Use a cheap rubbermaid tub for a reservoir.

These pumps generally have a flow rate of something like 10-20mL/minute, but it depends on pump RPM and tubing size.

I use my autodoser as an auto top off also. I lose about 1/2 gallon/day to evaporation in my main tank, so I run my pump long enough to pump in 1/2 gallon each day (about 4 hours in my case), add 3 1/2 gallons of water to the reservoir, and insert a week worth of macro nutrients.

I only run this system while I am away for more than 3 days at a time which is pretty common due to my current job. I just dose micros before I go, and maybe a double dose if I'm to be gone for a week or more.

I have my brother in law watch my apartment while I'm not there and this system keeps him from having to fertilize, or do anything besides throw food in the tanks. (He is not an aquarium enthusiast.).

All in all, it will cost you about $35-40 to put this system together, $70-80 if you set up a microdoser also.

Edit: Pretty sure I bought mine here http://www.aptinstruments.com/Mercha...ory_Code=SP100 . If so, they're about twice the price I quoted. They may have gone up in price or I may be senile. Both are about equally likely.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
As an alternative, you can mix a liquid solution from dry ferts. I have two 32oz dosing bottles mixed to a 1 dose per 1oz concentration for a 20-40gal tank. I dose three tanks, macros and micros, three times per week (both on the same day).

It's not automatic, and does require some (very very little) amount of work, but it's fairly brainless and takes me all of 60 seconds for three tanks, three times per week. Beyond the 32oz mixes once every few weeks, there's no measuring (just squeeze the bottle till the 1oz cup fills up).

I got the dosing bottles, along with a bunch of tubing, from USPlastics. Cheap.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode