PTrader: (0/0%)
How are my parameters

GH - 16
KH - 10
PH - 7.0 - 7.2
PHOSPHATE - .2
NITRATE -

CO2 - 1 bubble per 3 seconds

If I Increase lighintg should my Co2 be increased?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Your water is very similar to mine, as is the bubbles rate. I have a KH of 10 and a 1+ bps also. I don't think increasing CO2 injection with light is a good idea, fish can only withstand a certain CO2 saturation, and I think you are very near that level with PH = 7.0. I think adding fert together with increase light is a better idea.

Khoi,
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

SO my ph is to high?

SO are you saying with a ph of 7 is to high?

What should my ph be and I thought to accomplish that you had to increase the amount of Co2... so isnt it like a lose lose situation?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your KH is 10, and your PH is 7, this translate to your CO2 saturation is 30ppm, which according to Chuck calculator is too high and may pose a problem to your fish. It all depends on how the fish handle, if your fish is fine at 30ppm of CO2 then you can always push for more, but do it slowly. PH of 7 - 7.2 is good, most fish can handle large PH range given proper accimation, but also cannot tollerate high CO2 saturation. I hope I clarified my point.

Khoi,
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

thanks

Where can I see Chucks Calculator at?

Also should I lower my Co2 to around 1 bubble per 4 or 5 seconds instead of 3? That would up the ph correct?

I dont want this to be an unhealthy enviroment for my fish.
-
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here it is:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_aquacalc.htm

I think your PH at 7 - 7.2 is good. Lowering CO2 will up the PH, but your plant will be CO2 starve. It's the balance of enough for plant but don't kill the fish.

Khoi,
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

k

If I lower the Co2 it would be healthier for the fish, which is my main concern and also would that increase chance of algae?

What if I add more lighting, wont I need to increase the Co2 or no? and would adding more lighting change any of the parameters?

-- Also after looking at Chucks Calculator - if I up the Co2 just a tad it looks like it would be more healthier because it would increase the ph and notthe kh... am i correct?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Question

I see everyone with KH around 5 or less and GH around 10 or less and ph around 6.8... How can I get those numbers?

By adding more plants would that lower the KH? How do you lower the KH?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 09:56 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
I don't think that a CO2 ppm level of 30 or more is really considered dangerous any longer. As a matter of fact, following the Tom Barr EI (Estimative Index) fertilizing approach, step #1 is to get your CO2 ppm up to, at least, 30 ppm. I recently made some changes to my spraybar, and it shot my CO2 ppm's up into the 60-70 levels. I never noticed my fish really acting any differently.

As to trying to 'fight' your tap water and modify the KH/GH values, why add the extra work? Unless you have specific plants that you just have to have that require softer water, there's no real benefit it messing with it. Lowering your KH would just make you target for a lower pH to maintain the 30 ppm of CO2. It's not worth the work, IMO.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Does adding more plants/fish change any of your parameters?

What if I did up the Co2 just to lower the ph to the more common number of 6.8... would that increase algae growth?

How do people get their Kh down to 5?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PH has nothing to do with algae growth, nor does it have anything do do with plant growth in general. You are looking at PH as a sole number to determine everything. Which it is not. PH and KH number give you your CO2 saturation, which is one of the factor to plant growth. Other factors are light, macro and micro nutrients (Nitrate, Phosphate, Fe, etc...) I'm also new to this hobby and have yet to master any of this plant requirements. There are lots of article on the net that do a better job of explaning the relationship between all these factors for a good planted tank.

Adding more fish, mean more waste, so the nitrogen cycle will tell you that you will have more Nitrate (food for plant). Adding more plants will make use of the Nitrate, if not the Nitrate is available to lower form plants (ie. algae).

Some people have their tap water start out with KH 5, my tap water is 10. You can use Reverse Osmosis to lower your KH or other means. Here's an article on water hardness:
http://www.aquariumpharm.com/articles/gh-kh.asp

Take my advice with a grain of salt though, as you can see from my other posts. I'm a complete newbie here.

Khoi,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 01:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
You need to check your nitrates, it looked like you might of had some bluegreen algae in some of your plant pictures. Have you been adding nitrate?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode