Peat moss filter? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Peat moss filter?

I am looking to filter my water through peat moss and I am wondering if organic peat moss from home depot is safe or if peat moss from a reptile store would be better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Why are you looking to do this is the first question to ask.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have CPDs and I am trying to mimic their natural habitat. Which from my reading is a soft water and a pH around 6.5-6.7. My pH is 7.2 right now. And I have read that peat moss will help slowly lower the pH.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (23/100%)
I couldn't find smaller portions and don't have room for the gigantic pallet-size bags of peat moss so I wouldn't know ... but I ordered Hoffman Sphagnum Peat Moss (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CBITW) from Amazon. It's been working beautifully in both my Apisto and CRS tanks and lowers my tap water pH from 8.6+ to around or just below neutral.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I use the Eheim tort pellets. Good for about 6 months,don't stain the water yellow and are nice and compact so you don't have any little particles floating around.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Appleton View Post
I couldn't find smaller portions and don't have room for the gigantic pallet-size bags of peat moss so I wouldn't know ... but I ordered Hoffman Sphagnum Peat Moss (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CBITW) from Amazon. It's been working beautifully in both my Apisto and CRS tanks and lowers my tap water pH from 8.6+ to around or just below neutral.
Do you put this in a bag so particles don't leach out?

Dwarf Gourami, Cardinal Tetras, Julii Corydoras
Coralife T5NO (2x28w), DIY Yeast CO2
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
I use the Eheim tort pellets. Good for about 6 months,don't stain the water yellow and are nice and compact so you don't have any little particles floating around.
I was thinking of using these to cure my hard water but my ph is already at 6.8 would this drop my ph more or just reduce the hardness of the water stabilizing the ph?

SunSun Pimp #57

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Duche View Post
I am looking to filter my water through peat moss and I am wondering if organic peat moss from home depot is safe or if peat moss from a reptile store would be better?
From everything I've read as long as it dosent have any additives or dyes it should be safe just boil it first.

SunSun Pimp #57

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekidwell View Post
From everything I've read as long as it dosent have any additives or dyes it should be safe just boil it first.
How long should I boil it?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Just long enough to kill anything on it about a minute or so...it might smell kinda bad but better safe than sorry

SunSun Pimp #57

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Just long enough to kill anything on it, about a minute or so...it might smell kinda bad but better safe than sorry

SunSun Pimp #57

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode