When to start Dosing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
When to start Dosing

I replace my filter system with a Eheim 2262 , I've added 8 Black Skirt Tetra's one week the following week I added another 8 . All my plants died before I changed my filter system and the few tiny stubs are showing life again {brite green}.
I have been adding co2 to my tank keeping my DC in a transparent Blue .
So with about 3 tiny plants an a couple of tiny micro plants showing life in my 110g tank 60x18x24,
When would be best time to start Dosing?
When I get more plants ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 07:01 AM
wet
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hey inkslinger. When to start dosing (and how much) is tied to the number of plants in the tank. I don't think you should think about that too hard. Instead, I think you should start getting plants as soon as you can, then immediately start with a dosing schedule like EI.

You might want to think about what kind of tank you want: sexy stems, long term easy scapes with moss and anubias, etc, then think about light and CO2 requirements. But I think you should just get the plants you want and keep inching that CO2 a little higher into yellow, slowly. Regular dosing and lots of CO2 will grow lots of plants even with ambient sunlight. More light just makes it faster/harder/more time consuming.

Once the plants are growing, you know they're taking up nutrients and if densely planted will quickly take up ammonia and stuff. At that point you have a huge saftey net to add more fish, though you should still do it slowly and watch the tank. I've stocked whole schools after my first big trim and the fish did great. Acclimate slowly, etc, of course.

Hope this helps!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode